2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 7:40 PM by davidhoch

Managing a Parent database with many child databases

davidhoch

I'm creating a database to monitor all of my other databases on my Mac.  I want to keep track of each database on my Mac that has copies running in Filemaker Go on one or more of my iOS devices.   So that I don't have to check each master database invidually, I want this monitoring database to show me the name of each "checked out" copy, when it was checked out, and when the master database on the Mac was last updated with new or updated records from the checked out copies.

I looked at using the portal field to accomplish this, but it appears to be designed to provide a view of many records in a single child database rather than view of a single record from each of many databases.  Does anybody have a suggestions on how I would accomplish this?

Thanks,

David

• 1. Re: Managing a Parent database with many child databases
          Vaughan

Rephrase the problem: A supervisor wants to keep track of people. The people move around independently and the supervisor has no way to track them.

The people need to phone home to the supervisor regularly. The people change location but the supervisor will always be (and needs to be) at the same place.

It sounds as though you want some sort of synching solution. There are a couple around. EasySynch comes to mind.

• 2. Re: Managing a Parent database with many child databases
            davidhoch

I've already written scripts to handle checking out each database, and I'm working on the check-in scripts. I would just prefer to not have to put copies of each script in all my databases.  I just want a simple script in each database that executes the Save a Copy as command, which I can then execute from the script in the parent database using the Perform command.  I'm still stuck, however, with the manual process of having to use iTunes to download the database copy to FileMaker Pro on my iOS device.

Whether this proves to be a workable solution or not, I'd still like to know if it is possible to create views into multiple child databases from a single record in the parent database.

By the way, I Googled EasySncyh, and found something called FMEasySync.  Is this what you're talking about.  It needs a server to work.  I'm just running FileMaker on my MacBook Pro. 

Thanks,

David