1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2016 2:09 PM by Vaughan

Damaged Database

RolandGomez

Peeps!

A little help here. I'm out of Houston, but our Dallas branch (for the company that I work for) has a desktop that contains approximately 20 databases (Filemaker 11). Over the last year, one particular database has crashed multiple times (only this one in particular). What I've previously done is

1) recover the database for the sole purposes of retrieving the data.

2) I've exported the information into an excel file (text is the export) and

3) have recreated the DB from scratch.

4) Once ready, I import the information from the excel file (once again text is the import) and things work again...

5) a few months later I get this message.

6) I start the process over again

Can someone shed some light as to why this particular database is giving me hassle? This would have anything to do with the fact that the maps that one can tie into a layout doesn't function appropriately due to Internet Explorer does it??

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

-Roland Gomez

Unknown.jpeg

• 1. Re: Damaged Database
          steveromig

Peeps!

A little help here. I'm out of Houston, but our Dallas branch (for the company that I work for) has a desktop that contains approximately 20 databases (Filemaker 11). Over the last year, one particular database has crashed multiple times (only this one in particular). What I've previously done is

1) recover the database for the sole purposes of retrieving the data.

2) I've exported the information into an excel file (text is the export) and

3) have recreated the DB from scratch.

4) Once ready, I import the information from the excel file (once again text is the import) and things work again...

5) a few months later I get this message.

6) I start the process over again

Can someone shed some light as to why this particular database is giving me hassle? This would have anything to do with the fact that the maps that one can tie into a layout doesn't function appropriately due to Internet Explorer does it??

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

-Roland Gomez

Unknown.jpeg

It is always hard to answer the "why" part of "why did a database get damaged" as there really isn't a way to know unless something like a hard drive failure or something of that magnitude occurred,

The fact that your file is repeatedly getting corrupted is cause for concern.  Are you indeed re-creating it from scratch every time?  If so, then that would indicate that something in your environment is causing this file to become damaged over and over again.  After you re-create this file, is the file stable and doesn't crash and/or lock up on your frequently?  Not closing a FileMaker Pro file properly is the #1 cause of a file becoming corrupted.

I doubt it has anything to do with the "maps" that you speak of.  Nor should it have anything to do with importing from Excel.

We probably need a little more information about what leads up to this file giving you the message it is.  Does it happen spontaneously or does something happen to the file (crash / lockup / etc.) that can be tied to the file becoming damaged?

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Damaged Database
            wimdecorte

It seems to point to a deployment issue...

anything else running on the machie?  Any OS-level file sharing going on?  Backups?  Anti-virus scanning?

• 3. Re: Damaged Database
              Steve Wright

Hi Roland,

It could factor into it if the map layout is causing FileMaker Pro to crash, but if not, then its unlikely. 

Whilst a crash won't always end up in a 'file damaged' situation,  it's a common cause, as is loss of power without shutting down an FM database.  Anything causing the file to improperly close can end in corruption.

First thing I would look at would be windows reliability history for the machine to see if there are any clues.

If crashing is common, you should see it there.

• 4. Re: Damaged Database
                RolandGomez

Thank you for the responses everyone,

I am indeed opening a brand new file and recreating fields. Filemaker responds flawlessly at the beginning and then a few months later it just keels over. It does happen spontaneously...no crashes or lock ups precede this message. There is an anti-virus on this desktop and the users are probably not aware of the protocol when discontinuing the use of the DB. However, what is puzzling is the fact that no other of the 20 databases on this machine run into this issue. If your educated guesses as to why this is occurring I presume we would see this across the board, but again. It is just. this. one. particular. database. argggggg!

What is comforting is that the excel file that I use to import is not a cause, otherwise I would be up the creek without a paddle. Furthermore, even though the maps is not an issue I will eliminate even the slightest doubt by not including it this next time.

Thank you again for your expertise!

-Roland

• 5. Re: Damaged Database
                  Steve Wright

It does happen spontaneously...no crashes or lock ups precede this message

Hmm...I can say with confidence, I have never had that occur in all my years of using FileMaker.

So the following are just some things I would take a look at..

Perhaps run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool,

Check the hard drives for bad sectors

Check windows reliability history for general system stability

Checking  any real time or scheduled virus scanning / intrusion detection software to make sure they are not causing the issue.

Edit:  Also, if not a hosted file (which it didn't look like from the screenshot)  are the files being opened from a local drive, rather than a NAS drive / Cloud based storage?

• 6. Re: Damaged Database
                    gdurniak

Although it is a bit cryptic,  look thru the Recover Log,  for any items "changed".  It may give you a clue

Can you explain what the "maps" are ?  If that makes this file different,  it could be the problem

greg

> Over the last year, one particular database has crashed multiple times (only this one in particular). What I've previously done is   1) recover the database for the sole purposes of retrieving the data.

• 7. Re: Damaged Database
                      Steve Wright

gdurniak wrote:

Although it is a bit cryptic,  look thru the Recover Log,  for any items "changed".  It may give you a clue

Can you explain what the "maps" are ?  If that makes this file different,  it could be the problem

greg

i was just going to say, the log / summary of the recovery may give a few clues as to what's happening also.

• 8. Re: Damaged Database
                        coherentkris

Make sure your AV program excludes .fmp12 files from scanning. MIght not be a root cause but its good procedure.

• 9. Re: Damaged Database
                          RolandGomez

Coherentkris and Steve Wright, Will do. Thank you both

I just got an updated response from the users in dallas regarding the DB.

Please excuse my initial response as it is incorrect. Here is their response as to what occurs prior to the "crash". They are on a windows operating system.

"Right before it crashes, it will lock up and spin when you are trying to input data, then exit.  Once it starts spinning, you have to CNT-ALT-DEL to get it loose. Then, it won’t let you back in."

could the "cntrl+alt+del" cause the DB to come down??

-Roland

• 10. Re: Damaged Database
                            BruceRobertson

"desktop that contains approximately 20 databases (Filemaker 11)."

Perhaps I missed something but it sounds like FileMaker Server is not involved here.

From a different computer, you are opening files that exist on the desktop of that other computer, using simple OS file sharing - not FileMaker Server and not peer-to-peer?

If that is the case - then you are getting the expected results. You can't just open files that exist on the desktop of some other computer.

• 11. Re: Damaged Database
                              Steve Wright

could the "cntrl+alt+del" cause the DB to come down??

-Roland

Force closing a database whilst it's "doing something" will most certainly lead to corruption, at some point.

I assume by Ctrl+Alt+Delete they mean that they are also Ending Task or even shutting down their computer.

It sounds like something within the solution is causing the lockup and resulting in them force closing it.

Do they note any common layout / action they perform when the 'lockup' occurs?

If so, check the layout(s) in question along with any scripts, buttons / script triggers / on-timer scripts that may be running etc, to see if you can find something which may cause it to 'lock up'.  If it's rarely happening, then its likely something they don't do often.

• 12. Re: Damaged Database
                                RolandGomez

Bruce I apologize for the lack of clarity.

Filemaker server is not involved

These databases exist solely on this particular desktop.

This particular desktop is the only place these employees go to search for information.

Users do login to that computer via Logmein.com, but it acts as if they are actually there in front of the machine.

Steve, we have probably nailed the issue.

These guys would "alt+cntrl+del" me if I didn't respond quick enough to their problems. They do choose the end task option. I will ask to see if there is anything they are consistently doing that causes the program to lock (prior to causing havoc on filemaker with their default command)

you guys are the BEST!!

-Roland

• 13. Re: Damaged Database
                                  wimdecorte

RolandGomez wrote:

Bruce I apologize for the lack of clarity.

Filemaker server is not involved

These databases exist solely on this particular desktop.

This particular desktop is the only place these employees go to search for information.

Users do login to that computer via Logmein.com, but it acts as if they are actually there in front of the machine.

That's the issue right there... it is the known #1 cause for file corruption.  Basically everyone is trying to read and write to the same file at the same time.  Which is not a problem when FMS is the host or even FMP is the host, because that it is what it is designed to do.  But you have people using the OS to have multiple copies open and that is not good.  And known to cause what you are experiencing.

So switch to a setup where you either have FMS or FMP be the dedicated host and everyone should use "open remote" to locate the files.

Basically if they can just use "open" and find the find the files then your setup is bas.

• 14. Re: Damaged Database
                                    RolandGomez

There is only two of them in the dallas office. so they don't log on at the same time. Someone would get kicked off if the other was logged on to that computer.

-roland

1 2 Previous Next