14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 8:11 AM by sastickf

Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab

sastickf

Product and version: FileMaker 14.0.4 (but I was able to replicate the issue in 13.0.9 as well)

OS and version: Mac 10.10.5

Browser and version (for WebDirect only): N/A

Hardware: MacBook

Description: I have a file with 107 tables and when you duplicate a TO in the relationship graph, that TO is not listed on the "Tables" tab in Manage Database in the "Occurrences in Graph" column.  If you add a new TO using the "Add New" button (instead of duplicating an existing one), then the new TO DOES show up in the "Ocurrences in Graph" column of "Tables" in Manage Database.  Note: This does not seem to be a problem when there are not fewer data tables (& TOs on the graph).

How to replicate: From a file with many data tables, duplicate an existing TO from the relationship graph.

Workaround (if any): Use the "Add new TO" button vs. duplicating existing TOs

The consistency check as well as running recover on a copy of the file did not indicate that there are any issues with the file.  This is a brand new empty file that I began with as "from scratch" recently.  It has not crashed at any point.  I created the data tables by importing .xls spreadsheets (with one row only for the field names).

I would like to know from FileMaker if this bug affects the integrity of my file at all or if it is okay to continue developing my files that I duplicated TOs in vs. adding as new TOs?

• 1. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
          sastickf

I ran the DDR report on the file that I was having issues with last night and the TO that appears in the relationship graph and is missing in the "Occurrences in Graph" column of the "Tables" tab in Manage Database is also missing as a TO in the DDR.  When I go to define fields, the TO does show up as a related table.

I'm really confused by what I am seeing.  If I duplicate one TO of a table, it will not show up, but if I duplicate another TO, it does show up as an occurrence.

The primary question in my mind is if this is a software bug or a file corruption issue?  I really need to keep working & wondered if I can continue developing the file or if I need to revert to a backup?  I cannot think of anything that would have corrupted the file as it is a brand new file as of the last week and has never crashed or given me other errors.

Thank you for your guidance.

• 2. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
            Benjamin Fehr

I can't replicate this with Mac OSX 10.11 AND FMPA 14.0.4.

I used 1 TO and duplicated with 'cmd / D ' and also selected 2 connected tables ('Main' & 'all') and duplicated successfully, resulting in TO's

Main 2     X     all 2

Duplicate_TOs.png

• 3. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
              sastickf

That is part of my confusion as well since I was not able to re-create the problem with a file that had less tables and TOs.  Below are screenshots of what I am seeing:

There are two table occurrences of the INSPECTIONS table on my relationship graph, but only one is listed in the "Manage Database" and only one shows up on the Database Design Report.  The table that does not show up was created by duplication.

• 4. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
                sastickf

I meant to thank you for your response.  Thank you.  I really appreciated it!

Do you think I should upgrade to 10.11?  I wouldn't think that using 10.10 would create this type of issue...

• 5. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
                  Benjamin Fehr

Newer is always better

There has been some issues with shortcuts (copy / paste / duplicate) been greyed out in FMP, which most possibly were Mac OS related and NOT FMP.

I have a solution with more than 500 Table-Occurrences based on 66 Tables in 1 File. I wouldn't know of any issue that occur when a certain amount of tables OR TO's is exceeded.

But first things first:

- do you use any PlugIns?

- could you test your solution on another Mac with Mac OSX 10.10?

• 6. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
                    sastickf

Thank you again for your response.

My file definitely does not (yet) have more than 500 table-occurrences.  I have never really referred to whether the TOs show up on the Tables tab in Manage Database or the DDR report before.  Do you ever use these?  Since I have never checked this before, the question in my mind is: "If I can see the TO when defining fields, does it matter that the TO does not appear in Manage Database > Tables > Occurrences in Graph?"

I am not using any plug-ins.

I was able to test the affected file on a computer with 10.11.3 and FMPA 14.0.4, and had the same situation....

• 7. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
                      Benjamin Fehr

seems that this is file related with your solution and not Mac OS.

I guess, TS will soon ask you to send in your solution for their testing.

• 8. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
                        sastickf

Yes, it is good to have that ruled out.  I have the 16 TOs color-coded on the chart that do not show up on the Tables > "Occurrences in Graph" column or the DDR, so I do hope that someone from FM (TS ) does reach out soon!

• 9. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
                          Benjamin Fehr

well, I gonna show you that 'Genie in a bottle' trick. First rub the bottle, then say:

TSGal TSGal TSGal

• 10. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
                            sastickf

I didn't know that trick, thanks!  We'll see if your magic works. 

• 11. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
                              TSGal

sastickf:

Thank you for your posts.

Mentioning my name in a post will automatically send me a message.  :-)

If you duplicate a Table Occurrence, it should definitely show up in the Tables tab under the column "Occurrences in Graph" for the root table.  Your issue is not indicative of the OS, as I am able to perform the same steps under Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Mac OS X 10.10.5 and Mac OS X 10.11.3 with out any issue.

Going back to "efficientbizz", do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, temporarily disable them and see if you can still replicate the issue.  Also, if you have access to another machine, try it there.

If the issue is still reproducible, then I would definitely like to see a clone of the file so I can test it here and hopefully determine what is causing the issue.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
                                sastickf

Hello TSGal,

Thank you for your response!

I mentioned previously that I wasn't using plug-ins, thinking of just this solution, but I do have two installed.  I disabled them, first individually, and then both together, and that didn't change the behavior.

I am using a MacBook.  I replicated the problem with the file I sent you on an iMac running OS 10.11.3 with FMPA 14.0.4 as well as a Toshiba PC laptop running Windows 7 with FMPA 14.0.4.  I also verified that if I would add a new TO of an impacted table, that TO will show up as an "Occurrence in Graph" as well as any duplications of it.  There are just certain TOs that somehow never got "linked" when they were created (by duplication it seems) and then any duplications of the TO never get "linked" either to be able to be displayed as "Occurrences in Graph" or on the DDR.

I sent you an email with the affected file & look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Sarah

• 13. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
                                  TSGal

sastickf:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I noticed in the Relationships graph that the tables in question are in Italics, which means you are linking to another file's table; not the current file.  If you hover over the top left corner of each italic table, you will see you are linked to a file, even if it is the current file.  If you hover over the top left corner of a non-italic table, you will see the Data Source set to <current file>.

Changing these externally linked tables to current tables will then display the table occurrence in the Tables tab "Occurrences in Graph".

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Duplicated TOs in relationship graph not listed in Tables tab
                                    sastickf

Good morning TSGal,

Thank you very much for your fast response.  The file the tables are in is the one it names as the source table, "SEC Data".  (I missed the difference between the others which specify <current file> as the data source.)  In the external data sources, I notice that it does list SEC Data as a source, even though that is the file itself.  I definitely did check what the source table was, but didn't even think about it looking at an "external data source" of the file itself.  I have no clue how that external data source of the file itself got there, but you are absolutely correct.  I'm thankful that this is the problem and it is not a file corruption issue or bug.

Thank you for your time and help.  Lesson learned!

Sarah