14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2016 7:35 AM by sharpie

Script Workspace not opening

sharpie

hello

bizarrely enough my FMPA 14.0.4 running on my Windows 8.1 laptop has suddenly stopped opening script workspace for all of my solutions.  It's wierd.  It doesn't appear through any keyboard shortcuts or physically selecting the menu options.  Also I was in script debugger and while 'stepped in' to a script I clicked the edit button which also didn't open the window to allow me to edit it. 

SInce then I've added buttons to a layout and selected perform script new script which had opened script editor, but I still can't get to script workspace Which list all your scripts in one place and allows you to organise them etc.

DOes anyone know how I can fix this please?

• 1. Re: Script Workspace not opening
          macwombat

Sounds unusual.  You haven't said, but I assume it was all working fine and you haven't done any updates to Windows or to FMPA?  If not, I know its probably too obvious to say it, but have you tried restarting your computer?  Working in support in the past that was so often a problem solver for weird problems.

• 2. Re: Script Workspace not opening
            sharpie

Hi Chris

thanks for the quick reply.  I don't think I've used FMPA properly on this machine for a week or 2 until now.. I can't remember whether Windows has updated itself in between times, maybe!  After posting here just now I decided to restart computer. Re-opened FM and script workspace menu command is still unresponsive.

• 3. Re: Script Workspace not opening
              macwombat

Other diagnostic questions:

Are you currently logged in with a [Full Access] account?

Are you currently paused in a script?

Are you using a multiple monitor/screen setup that has changed.  Eg. Script workspace is on the second screen, but you are only using 1 screen so you can't see it.  You can reset the default positions and sizes of the dialogs by Edit / Preferences / General Tab - "Reset dialog sizes and positions:

• 4. Re: Script Workspace not opening
                sharpie

I did recently have an external monitor attached to this laptop via the standard VGA cable in which I had to drag FM Windows across so they'd display on the external monitor, but it's not connected anymore, could that still be having an effect?  If so I'm not sure how to correct it. I can't see anything obvious in control panel.  Thanks for the edit preferences tip Ive now reset to default the dialog sizes as you suggested, then re-opened FM, but no joy I'm afraid

• 5. Re: Script Workspace not opening
                  steveromig

I did recently have an external monitor attached to this laptop via the standard VGA cable in which I had to drag FM Windows across so they'd display on the external monitor, but it's not connected anymore, could that still be having an effect?  If so I'm not sure how to correct it. I can't see anything obvious in control panel.  Thanks for the edit preferences tip Ive now reset to default the dialog sizes as you suggested, then re-opened FM, but no joy I'm afraid

What if you right-click on the Windows Taskbar and choose either "Show Windows Stacked" or "Show Windows Side By Side."

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Script Workspace not opening
                    macwombat

That was a similar situation to mine and the reset fixed it.  When you look at the Script Workspace command is it greyed out?  If it is that would indicate that you either do not have access to it or that you are stuck in another script that is paused.  If the Script Workspace command is not greyed out then I think that it might be related to the previous external monitor.  If that is the case, the reset should fix it.  Otherwise I'm not sure how else to help you. Sorry.

• 7. Re: Script Workspace not opening
                      sharpie

I still can't see script workspace window trying what you've suggested.  It's only script workspace that doesn't open.  Other dialogs open fine e.g. File manage database

• 8. Re: Script Workspace not opening
                        sharpie

no it's not greyed out and I'm logged in with full access

• 9. Re: Script Workspace not opening
                          macwombat

Can you try plugging in the external monitor again and see if the Script Workspace is on the second monitor?

• 10. Re: Script Workspace not opening
                            fitch

I'm betting that the script workspace is opening off-screen. Perhaps try one of the solutions suggested here:

multiple monitors - How to move windows that open up offscreen? - Super User

• 11. Re: Script Workspace not opening
                              sharpie

ok thanks all.  I actually don't have a second monitor at home, I used my laptop with other monitors in other locations, when I next open my laptop I will look at the link you've forwarded Tom , thank you.  If it comes to it, I could get access to a second monitor again, but it would be a bit of a pain, oh well!  I'll post back with how I got on once I manage to look into it again.

• 12. Re: Script Workspace not opening
                                MaxEh

Sharpie,

Have a look at this thread Steve's solution my work instead of  accessing a second monitor.

https://community.filemaker.com/thread/152941

• 13. Re: Script Workspace not opening
                                  Steve Wright

As MaxEh linked to above, that should bring back the debug window & any dialogs, but it doesn't work for the Script Workspace.  For the script workspace, try the following

Open Script Workspace

Press Alt + Space + M

Use the cursor keys to slide the window (depending on previous monitor config) either left or right until it's visible.

*Sometimes once you have started moving the hidden window with the cursor keys, it will 'attach'  itself to your mouse cursor, so just give your mouse a nudge and you can save yourself holding the cursor key for an extended time.

This should work on first open of the script workspace, since it's the active window at that point.

• 14. Re: Script Workspace not opening
                                    sharpie

Boom! Alt+Space+M and held the right arrow key down for a while, clicked my left mouse button to start to move the script workspace window back into view and as if by magic it appeared.

Thankyou very much MaxEh, Steve Wright, and everybody else for your help and input.

BR

Sharpie