6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 12:44 AM by nicolai

Open Hosted Database from the iOS device FMGo

sivagurS

Hi,

I have a Filemaker Pro Advanced 14 Application, that is being hosted from FM Server 14. I have also used ESS data sources in my file.

When I try to open this file from filemaker Go --> Hosts --> MyHost(Files), it works well.

But when I try to add this File to FM Go Device and the open from FMGo --> Device --> File, it doesn't connect to the ESS sources even though the phone is connected to the corresponding WiFi Connection..

Is there a way for me to reach the ESS from the Device FMGo file.

Do i have to use any Sync here,

Thanks,

Seetha.

• 1. Re: Open Hosted Database from the iOS device FMGo
          sivagurS

Also how to check if the FM Go File is connected to the WiFi through Scripting..

Thanks

Seetha

• 2. Re: Open Hosted Database from the iOS device FMGo
            nicolai

In short: it will not work.

You file on the Server uses ODBC on the server to link to ESS. You file on the iOS device does not have ODBC. The same file will not work from your desktop either, unless you add a local ODBC DSN.

Use the file form your server as you have to be on the network to connect to your ESS in any case. You can use a local launcher file, which will open file on the server.

• 3. Re: Open Hosted Database from the iOS device FMGo
              nicolai

You can check if you are connected to the Internet or if you can connect to your FileMaker server.

For the first one use "Insert from URL", for the second - Open File and check for errors.

• 4. Re: Open Hosted Database from the iOS device FMGo
                sivagurS

thanks so much for the answer Nicolai ..

I have a local Device File, which tries to open the Hosted File which works correctly when the device is connected to Wifi, but when the user is not connected to Wifi, the Open File[] script step allows the user to select a different file to open.

Can we disable the user and just Get(LastError) and redirect them to a different layout in the same file...

Hope I made that clear..

thanks

Seetha.

• 5. Re: Open Hosted Database from the iOS device FMGo
                  sivagurS

To Check the connection to the Wifi Network, I used Get(NetworkType) to check the Network in which the File is running and then Get(SyetemIPAddress) to check if it is connected to the Proper WiFi network.

But I also want to check if the FileMaker Server is active, Is there a way to check this

thanks

Seetha

• 6. Re: Open Hosted Database from the iOS device FMGo
                    nicolai
                    hen the user is not connected to Wifi, the Open File[] script step allows the user to select a different file to open.

You will need something like this:

Set Error Capture [On]

Open File [ <YourFIle>]

If [Get ( LastError )]

Set Error Capture [Off]

//failed to open remote, change to a local layout

Go to Layout [ <YourLocalLayout>]

Else

Set Error Capture [Off]

//remote file is open, perform script in the remote file

End If

But I also want to check if the FileMaker Server is active, Is there a way to check this

To check if the server is available, just open any file and trap for error. You can have aa small file with one empty table and a layout with no objects, opening and closing it will be very fast.

If the file from the server was open and you want to check that the connection is still alive, you can try Get ( HostApplicationVersion ) or just run a script from the server file and trap for errors.