AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why do checkbox set selections moves when one is checked?

Question asked by jemiljan on Feb 2, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 7, 2016 by hschlossberg

First, allow me to once again vent my extreme disappointment in FileMaker for no longer allowing multiple selection in a pop-up menu for the Mac OS since the debut of FM 12 (See "Note: Beginning with FileMaker Pro 12, under Mac OS, selecting multiple values from a pop-up menu is not possible.").

Why on earth would you do that? I have had to completely revamp my databases because of this so-called "enhancement". What originally was a small field now has to occupy a lot more space. Then the announcement of this wonderful "upgrade" in your software is buried in your "Cool Tips and Tricks". What genius came up with that idea? Believe me, "cool" is not how I think of your choice to discontinue this feature only for Mac users, FileMaker!

So, now I have converted all of my pop-up menus to checkbox fields, as that is now the only way FM allows multiple selections from a value list on a Mac. Some of these checkboxes have a dozen or more possible choices. I have placed the selections in columns of 3 rows.

There is no problem with the first column; however, beginning with the second column, whenever I make a selection in the top two rows, the following selections move over to the next column, leaving a blank space under the selection and pushing the other choices beyond view. Only the bottom row doesn't move.

Note that these checkboxes are formatted to the right, as they are bilingual Arabic/English, and Arabic is read from right to left.

1) Checkbox as it appears with only one selection in the first column on the right. No movement occurs:

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 8.57.26 AM.png

2) Checkbox after top item in third column is selected, causing the following selections to shift over to the next column, and hiding the last one:

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 8.57.43 AM.png

3) Checkbox after another selection is made in the 2nd row of the 4th column, displacing the following choices and hiding the last two.

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 8.58.00 AM.png

Is this a bug or what?

A problem with mixing scripts that go in different directions?

Any idea what makes does this occur?

I have tried changing the text direction and alignment, but neither of them seem to eliminate this bug.

Of course, had FileMaker not abandoned multiple selections in a pop-up menu for Mac users, I wouldn't have this problem, now would I!

Outcomes