1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 11:27 AM by jormond

Gamification of the community: more missions + badges

mrwatson-gbs

Hello everybody,

(as you may have noticed) I am really enjoying the new community issues and product ideas areas! I find the interaction and exchange of ideas is really working well.

I think however that the community could possibly do with a little more incentive to get people more active + involved in this idea exchange.

1. Missions

What about some more and diverse missions that one could attain => it would be more fun + give users maybe more incentive to interact, and to explore all the features that jive offers: vowing, discussions, posting, commenting, @mentioning, tagging, bookmarking, creating profile, adding skills, endorsements, etc.

For example (off the top of my head):

Missions for voting

• A mission ‘Voter' for first vote
      • A mission ‘Community citizen’ after 10 votes
      • A mission ‘Community watchdog’ after 50 votes
      • A mission ‘Critique' for first down-vote
      • A mission ‘***' for multiple down-votes (without any up votes)

Missions for Discussion and communication

• A mission ‘Communicator' for first mention of somebody in a post or comment using (@ notation)
      • A mission ‘Conversationalist’ for for
      • A mission ‘Monologue’ for 5 comments in a row on the same thread.
      • A mission ‘Librarian’ for a frequent bookmarker
      • ‘Classifier’ for using tags

Missions of success

• Favorite’ (equivalent to the label "Most liked" which appears on some posts)
      • ‘Leader’ when you have N followers
      • ‘Networker’ when you have M connections

Missions for Issues reports + Ideas

• First issue -> ‘Reporter'
      • Multiple issues -> ’Detective’
      • Having your Issue marked as implemented -> ‘Bug blaster'
      • First idea -> “Inventor"
      • ‘Brainstormer’ for multiple ideas
      • etc.

Missions for engagement

• Multiple posts/interaction on one day
      • Regular posting on consecutive days
      • Interaction with multiple spaces
      • Missions for linking across spaces

Missions for using the profile area

• Mission for Uploading an avatar
      • Mission for entering skills in profile
      • Mission for endorsing a users skills
      • ….

The missions, names and ideas need carefully thinking through + planning: Stack exchange is a really good example of using attainments/badges to increase the game-like nature of involvement (see the blog article from Jeff Atwood on The Gamification of stack exchange).

2. Badges

Maybe also some more and varied badges that you can add to you me in three?

For example, I would quite like a badge to indicate that I have lot’s of ideas, with the product ideas bulb in it.

Whaddya think?

lol! :D Living in Germany that was a very unfortunate and rather politically sensitive auto-correction: naturally I meant gamification and not gasification of the community!

• 1. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
          mark_baum

Hi mrwatson-gbs,

Thanks for these ideas. Our approach to gamification has been conservative in order to prepare for a spam management strategy involving points-based moderation. Now we're exploring the possibility of managing spam in a different way. If we succeed with that, we'll start looking into a wider range of gamification missions here in the FileMaker Community.

I can't offer a timeline for any of this, but it's all under consideration at present, so your post is certainly timely.

Cheers --

Mark

• 2. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
            CarstenLevin

I may be a bit to the conservative side. Personally I am not so thrilled by the scout marks. I would like much fewer parameters, only this that really matters:

• Being certified as FileMaker developer
            • Having answers marked as correct in a tread
            • Having answers marked as helpfull

And a possibility to give you a minus for inappropriate posts or rants?

Well well.

Maybe even a negative impact by having to many posts compared to those marked as correct/helpfull .... the ratio?

Well this last point is maybe not so good.

My very personal point: This is a professional forum and the content should be the King, Kaiser and President.

Best regards

Carsten

• 3. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
              sreese

Carsten Levin wrote:

And a possibility to give you a minus for inappropriate posts or rants?

Well well.

I have to disagree with you on this point. Good and bad can come from a rant. A lot of times when people go on a rant there is something they are genuinely frustrated with. Things don't tend to change when you don't want to interact with people that have a frustration.

There was a good post last year about why a FileMaker Developer was leaving FileMaker. He brought up a ton of concerns that FM would have never known or addressed. While it may not always be helpful for a developer, sometimes some very crucial information can be passed along.

From my own experience here at work, I have gathered a lot of useful nuggets from employee rants about problems with the way we have developed the program that we would have never known if there wasn't some sort of outlash against it.

If a conversation is truly inappropriate there is a flag as inappropriate response on the bottom left of every post that lets the moderators to make the decision about the post.

• 4. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
                jormond

Public rants are rarely beneficial. There is benefit about a discussion about a perceived ( or real ) problem. Discussion ≠ Rant.

In fact, many of the change you have seen to FMI's communication, and this forum, came from constructive, non-rant conversations. Some public, here on the forums. Some private. And I assure you, the constructive conversations had in private had a much larger impact on changes being made than the public rants.

Ranting is to "speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way". Not helpful, at all. The only thing that does is make the poster feel better, and drive users away from the platform. If one is ranting, they waiting too long to express themselves in a constructive way, and now they are just mad or emotional.

• 5. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
                  beverly
                  a ton of concerns that FM would have never known or addressed

sorry, I disagree. they KNOW.

beverly

• 6. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
                    sreese

Joshua,

On the same token sometimes its not that they haven't had those private conversations. Sometimes its not that they've waited to long; its that no one is listening. (I'm not just talking FM here, but life in general.) I have also found that every different platformed I've learned have peoples rants and complaints about it.

I guess I am a bit of a character, I believe that if someone has something they want to say they should say it. Yes calm conversations tend to work better, but they don't always work. If they have a good point to make it will come through, if they are wrong, well the metaphor I want to use probably isn't best for the forums.

In order for a truly diverse and inclusive conversation you should allow for a great many points of view, even if they are wrong or you don't agree with them. The best thing to do in those situations is to try and point out their logic in their failings or to ignore them completely, but using non-moderator based methods to quiet them does nothing to but enrage them more.

I take a bit of the opposite view as you on the driving people away, rants only serve to drive people away when they are ignored. Nothing is perfect, but it is in how you choose to respond that makes all of the difference in the world.

My problem with his point is that who is to say what is and isn't appropriate. That type of system can, and ultimately tend to be abused.

I think the other solution about changing the way points are awarded is a much more efficient way to handle the problems, plus it would actually give a bit more weight to the points system. That way when you saw someone with a level 5 score would actually mean something besides that they have been on here for years, or they just post a lot.

• 7. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
                      sreese

beverly wrote:

a ton of concerns that FM would have never known or addressed

sorry, I disagree. they KNOW.

beverly

You are right, I'm sure they probably do "know" of the problem. I have found their tech support to be extremely dismissive of problems however. They like to say "working as intended" as a solution, or my favorite one was when I called about the External Authentication and they responded that "they don't support that feature" on the phone. Its included in the product, but they provide no support for it. The technicians don't even understand how it works. The question was on the change they made in 14 with the check box allowing for the password store. It was a pretty big edition to version 14 that it took more than a month for a FM representative to respond to it. I'm not faulting them for it as I'm certain there is a bit of research that went into it before she answered.

I'm not angry or even frustrated at this point I was just using it as an example.

• 8. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
                        jormond

From personal experience, I have seen comments ( rants ) drive away users of the platform. I have personally lost customers because of comments made here, that were, for lack of a better word..."wrong". In fact, the discussion that set them off, didn't even relate to anything they would use. I'm ok with it because I don't really want as clients, people that are that high maintenance. But it makes a point. In the instances I'm referring to, the comments were absolutely, 100% incorrect and inaccurate. It was said because the person was mad.

The clients saw that as a problem with the overall platform. I am all for people speaking their mind. I am one of those people. I speak up when many others would not. ( I can provide references if you don't believe me. ).

However, there are good ways and bad ways to express yourself. Anger, mobs, and violence...while they can effect change, often have extreme costs that no one accounted for. Meanwhile, some of the most effective changes happened when people had strong points, and communicated them effectively, and rationally. Yes, yelling will get a response. It may get a fast response sometimes...but often at a much larger cost. It's termed "unintended consequences". Sometimes those consequences are good. But more often they are bad.

It reminds me of comedians. Any comedian can use vulgarity to get a laugh. And many of them to. They make lots of money short term. But few of them last very long. Because the material, the message, itself is weak. Comedians that seem to stick around for decades ( yes there are exceptions ), tend to be a bit cleaner...and instead focus on smart comedy. Their message never gets old. And just about anyone can listen to them without being offended.

“Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly.” ~Spencer Kimball

There are so many better ways to express yourself forcibly without resorting to screaming louder than everyone else.

"Speak softly, and carry a big stick." ~Theodore Roosevelt

A word spoken from someone with a reputation of a reasonable approach, and vast experience, will have a drastically more meaningful impact to effect change...than someone who yells all the time.

sreese wrote:

In order for a truly diverse and inclusive conversation you should allow for a great many points of view, even if they are wrong or you don't agree with them. The best thing to do in those situations is to try and point out their logic in their failings or to ignore them completely, but using non-moderator based methods to quiet them does nothing to but enrage them more.

I take a bit of the opposite view as you on the driving people away, rants only serve to drive people away when they are ignored. Nothing is perfect, but it is in how you choose to respond that makes all of the difference in the world.

My problem with his point is that who is to say what is and isn't appropriate. That type of system can, and ultimately tend to be abused.

• 9. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
                          mrwatson-gbs

Hello everybody,

I had been hoping to get some ideas about how we can pep-up the enjoyment of the community.

While it is important to regulate ‘ranting’ and negative posts, they are not the main priority of this thead and I would suggest that we get into some bright and bubbly ideas about what missions might be fun to introduce.

“Always look on the bright side of life!”

MrWatson

• 10. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
                            sreese

Joshua Ormond wrote:

From personal experience, I have seen comments ( rants ) drive away users of the platform. I have personally lost customers because of comments made here, that were, for lack of a better word..."wrong". In fact, the discussion that set them off, didn't even relate to anything they would use. I'm ok with it because I don't really want as clients, people that are that high maintenance. But it makes a point. In the instances I'm referring to, the comments were absolutely, 100% incorrect and inaccurate. It was said because the person was mad.

Josh,

I can understand the frustrations to this, and I even agree about those people being high maintenance. Wouldn't the best way to deal with the falsehood to be to respond to it with the truth? Even if FM banned those conversations from its forums, they would move elsewhere. Places that FileMaker couldn't respond in kind.

The internet is full of crappy reviews and places to post crappy reviews. Better to fight an enemy that you can see than one you cannot. (That could just be from to many years playing video games when I was younger.)

• 11. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
                              jormond

Yup. And that is what I do. In too many cases, it is true that 1 bad review is stronger than 100 good reviews.

To mrwatson-gbs' point. I will withdraw from that conversation. So I don't highjack the thread any further. Sorry mrwatson-gbs!!

• 12. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
                                jormond

I think likes, helpful replies, correct answers...should have higher point values.

• Helpful Replies: 50 Points.
                                • Correct Answers: 100 Points.

It gives more incentive to post replies with helpful info, for those that even consider the point system.

I also think Certifications should have a higher point value. And missions with high point values for speaking at DevCon, etc.

• Certifications: 500-750 points.
                                • DevCon Speaker: 1000-1500 points.
                                • 13. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
                                  CarstenLevin

I am not sure about gamification ... first I do not feel that the word is used correctly here ... points are not enough to start talking about gamification.

But more important: We are here because we have something in common: FileMaker and the development of ERP and other solutions.

But I must say that the suggestion by Joshua sound good:

I think likes, helpful replies, correct answers...should have higher point values.

• Helpful Replies: 50 Points.
                                  • Correct Answers: 100 Points.

It gives more incentive to post replies with helpful info, for those that even consider the point system. I also think Certifications should have a higher point value. And missions with high point values for speaking at DevCon, etc.

• Certifications: 500-750 points.
                                  • DevCon Speaker: 1000-1500 points

If we are going to have points ... which we could just as well survive without ... this is a good way to go.

Best regards

Carsten

• 14. Re: Gamification of the community: more missions + badges
                                    Benjamin Fehr

I completely agree. This is a place to gather know how and to share experiences. I don't think that this score system is of any help to get to know about FM skills of any participant.

I'ld rather support some feature requests asking for improvement of the developers Profile. Functions that add's some LinkedIn like features, job opportunities, recommendations, etc.

1 2 Previous Next