12 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 7:38 AM by TSGal

Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling

fitch

FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.4 /  Windows 7

In the Script Workspace, when working on "long" scripts -- i.e., longer than one screen -- I typically want to see what I'm doing in context. I want to see what's above AND what's below the step I'm editing. But really I WANT TO CONTROL THE SCROLL POSITION MYSELF. If I manually scroll the view, I want it to STAY PUT.

However, FileMaker insists on scrolling the view to the bottom after committing each script step. Very annoying.

I titled this bug "unhelpful scrolling" because I assume the designer of this "feature" was trying to somehow be helpful. But it is the opposite of helpful.

• 1. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
          TSGal

fitch:

Thank you for your post.

Using FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.4 under Windows 7, I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. In a database file, I have a script that is 60 lines long.

2. I scroll to the middle so lines 18-49 are displayed.

3. I edit the Set Variable script step on line 30, click OK, and I do not scroll.

4. I save the script, and I do not scroll.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you, or let me know more about the script step you are editing, and I will try to replicate the scrolling issue here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
            hschlossberg

What Tom describes is standard behavior on Windows.  It makes 14 extremely difficult for developers to use and is one of many scrolling issues in 14.  I am certain that FM engineers are aware of this particular issue.

• 3. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
              steveallen0112

TSGal,

This sounds like the same issue I reported in this thread.  You indicated there (post 7) that you were able to reproduce it.  If it's the same issue, then the issue isn't with Editing script steps, it's with Creating them.  So, instead of Editing line 30, go to line 30, and Add a Script Step.

I am on Windows 10, FMPA 14.0.4.

Thanks,

Steve Allen

• 4. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
                TSGal

steveallen0112:

Thank you for the link.  Your issue occurs when creating a script step, and this is definitely a known issue.  However, the original poster "fitch" only mentions editing a script step; not creating.  Therefore, I'll need some clarification to determine if this is the same issue or a new issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
                  fitch

Thanks for the input everyone. The issue is with BOTH creating and editing.

On closer examination, it seems the jumping occurs when the scrollbar thumb is AT or NEAR the bottom. That would explain TSGal why your test didn't reproduce the issue, since you were in the middle of the script.

E.g., if my window displays 40 lines of a 100-line script...

- When line 88 is the last line visible, I can edit lines above it with no jumping.

- When line 90 is the last line, we start to get jumping.

- When line 100 is last -- i.e. we're scrolled all the way to the bottom -- very pronounced jumping.

YMMV. HTH.

--Tom

• 6. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
                    TSGal

fitch:

Thank you for the additional information.

With a 205 line script, if I edit line 200, the line does not jump until I save the script.  Line 200 now becomes the bottom line displayed in the script window.  I've tried this as the only script open, with other scripts open, and with the script in its own window.  What script step (Set Field, If, Set Variable, etc.) are you editing as this may be the key.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
                      fitch

More testing.... it seems like the issue boils down to:

When the 8th line from the bottom (8LFTB) is scrolled into view, creating or editing a script line above it will cause the window to scroll so that the 8LFTB becomes the bottom-most line.

For example:

- in a 100-line script, scroll down until line 92, 93, or higher is visible.

- now create or edit a script step above it and commit the step

-- -- you don't have to save the script

-- -- it can be any script step, e.g. comment, set variable, perform script, etc.

- result: the window scrolls so that line 92 is the bottom-most visible step.

I see now I can work around this by adding 8 or 10 lines to the end of my script. I tried this before, but what I didn't realize was that I had to make sure to not scroll down all the way. As long as I leave enough lines below the visible area, the jumping does not occur.

[*drops mic]

• 8. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
                        hschlossberg

I have a 156-line script.  Scroll all the way to the bottom so that I can see step 156.  Line 143 is an IF statement and I click into the inline edit widget.  Hit enter on the keyboard or mouse-click on line 144 to exit that editing widget.  All of a sudden line 147 is the last line I can see at the bottom.

• 9. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
                          fitch

Thanks, Howard. That's consistent with my findings -- it scrolls to the 8th line from the bottom (or 9th depending on if you include the last line in your count).

• 10. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
                            TSGal

fitch and hschlossberg:

Thanks for staying with me on this.  I am now able to replicate the jumping.  I have sent this information to Testing and Development for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
                              TSGal

fitch:

Development and Testing are aware of the issue with editing a script step, and they have confirmed it is related to the same issue as creating a script step.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Script steps pane unhelpful scrolling
                                TSGal

All:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.