8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 5:33 AM by Kaj_Hjorth

On Lay-Out Enter Script Trigger fires unexpectedly

Kaj_Hjorth

Hi,

El Capitan system

Filemaker 14 server

FileMaker 14 Advanced

FileMaker Go 14

Have database with Script Trigger on First Window open (This works fine)

Added on another layout  "On Lay-Out Enter" Script Trigger  Script "Show custom Dialogue"

Now on entering database On First Window Open  shows Custom dialogue as well as the lay-out intended shows the dialogue.

Workaround Remove On First Window Open

Cannot see what's happening here.

Ideas anyone

Best regards

Kaj Hjorth

• 1. Re: On Lay-Out Enter Script Trigger fires unexpectedly
          CamelCase_data

I'm not sure I understand you right, but this sounds like normal behavior? If you have two different script triggers, each of those will of course trigger the script?

If that is not what you want, you can use a workaround that sets a global override variable, and then have the triggered script clear than variable and then exit immediately if the variable is set.

• 2. Re: On Lay-Out Enter Script Trigger fires unexpectedly
            Kaj_Hjorth

Sorry,

maybe I wasn’t clear enough

The On First Window open script leads to one Lay-Out

The On Lay-Out Enter Trigger is set in another context on another Lay-Out

So to my mind it’s not expected behavior

CamelCase201507 <noreply@filemaker.com> kirjoitti 4.2.2016 kello 12.54:

reply from CamelCase201507 in Report a Product Issue - View the full discussion

I'm not sure I understand you right, but this sounds like normal behavior? If you have two different script triggers, each of those will of course trigger the script?

If that is not what you want, you can use a workaround that sets a global override variable, and then have the triggered script clear than variable and then exit immediately if the variable is set.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community

Start a new discussion in Report a Product Issue by email or at FileMaker Community

Following On Lay-Out Enter Script Trigger fires unexpectedly in these streams: Inbox

Manage your email preferences

FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 3. Re: On Lay-Out Enter Script Trigger fires unexpectedly
              CamelCase_data

In that case, the file is probably going to the target layout on open before doing anything else. Among the first things FileMaker does on opening a file, is go to a layout. If you don't define this explicitly, it will be the last layout you were on when closing with full access locally.

You can override this by choosing a start layout explicitly in File Options > Switch to layout.

• 4. Re: On Lay-Out Enter Script Trigger fires unexpectedly
                Kaj_Hjorth

Hi,

just to put you on the map

I have been with FileMaker since 1987

and have been a business partner for long.

Until sold my Company end of 2013

The info at the FileMaker website about me is totally incorrect

giving me as Newbie. I cannot see why and I hate it.

I have stayed at the same adress for 30 years but the log in name

has changed several times.

I always direct the Start to a specific layout thats the idea with my StartScript

Maybe the Script in some way is invalid and FileMaker gets confused

and triggers The On Layout Enter on quite another lay-oy than defined.

That should not be allowed to happen.

Anyway I already used the GoTo Lay-out from Options and skipped the StartScript

My idea was just to report a bug.

FileMaker server 14 Go 14 (I do not have control over Server)

iPhone 6 IOS 9.2.1

Please see if you can recreate that behavior

I do not need an answer

If not it’s my problem

Let’s end the discussion here

Yours sincerely

Kaj Hjorth

CamelCase201507 <noreply@filemaker.com> kirjoitti 4.2.2016 kello 13.12:

reply from CamelCase201507 in Report a Product Issue - View the full discussion

In that case, the file is probably going to the target layout on open before doing anything else. Among the first things FileMaker does on opening a file, is go to a layout. If you don't define this explicitly, it will be the last layout you were on when closing with full access locally.

You can override this by choosing a start layout explicitly in File Options > Switch to layout.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community

Start a new discussion in Report a Product Issue by email or at FileMaker Community

Following On Lay-Out Enter Script Trigger fires unexpectedly in these streams: Inbox

FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 5. Re: On Lay-Out Enter Script Trigger fires unexpectedly
                  CamelCase_data

I can't reproduce this on an iPad 2 iOS 9.2.1 with FileMaker Go 14. I don't have access to an iPhone with the same iOS version, so perhaps this is an iPhone-specific issue. Just trying to help narrow down the issue...

• 6. Re: On Lay-Out Enter Script Trigger fires unexpectedly
                    beverly

Hey, Kaj! this is a relatively new forum that just merged with a separate forum. If the email address was the same (and you were a member of both), then your content may be able to be merged.

And it just starts everyone's points at 0. On your profile you can set up more text to tell everyone who you are and that helps. I looked like a newbie when I joined, too (different email address). FileMaker just turned 30. Some of us have been "around" a long time. Ignore the "points".

This space is for other developers to comment, but mostly you will get someone with TS_ as the first part of their user name. Thanks for the report! I'm sure many will test.

beverly

• 7. Re: On Lay-Out Enter Script Trigger fires unexpectedly
                      Benjamin Fehr

Kaj_Hjorth I don't really care about those boy scout medals and what's called FM 'Reputation'. This forum is about sharing experiences.

Since you're using a FMP Advanced as well, you could

- open FMP Advanced

- activate 'Script Debugger'

- then open your solution

to analyze every single script step with the OnOpen Script to see which layout get's loaded and why this Script gets triggered unexpectedly.

Please try to give more detailed informations about where Script triggers are set, what the associated scripts are supposed to do, kind of a chronologically follow up.

• 8. Re: On Lay-Out Enter Script Trigger fires unexpectedly
                        Kaj_Hjorth

Thanks for your help

Believe you are right saying the Openscript loads a layout, unintentionally,  then moves to the target Opening layout

Shall analyze with debugger, eventually when opportunity

For now, I worked around the problem

Best regards

efficientbizz <noreply@filemaker.com> kirjoitti 4.2.2016 kello 14.01:

reply from efficientbizz in Report a Product Issue - View the full discussion

k_i_hjorth I don't really care about those boy scout medals and what's called FM 'Reputation'. This forum is about sharing experiences.

Since you're using a FMP Advanced as well, you could

- open FMP Advanced

- activate 'Script Debugger'

- then open your solution

to analyze every single script step with the OnOpen Script to see which layout get's loaded and why this Script gets triggered unexpectedly.

Please try to give more detailed informations about where Script triggers are set, what the associated scripts are supposed to do, kind of a chronologically follow up.