6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 5:52 PM by wimdecorte

Server hardware multiple drive configuration

duncanbaker

Hi all

I'm looking to purchase a Windows server to run FMS on and thought I'd throw out some ideas for any feedback comments. I'm thinking:

RAID 1 mirrored 15k or SSD drives for the OS, FMS and data drive to reside on. At the moment I'm looking at 300GB.

RAID 1 mirrored 7.2k drives for external container storage and database backups.At the moment I'm looking at 2TB.

32GB RAM

Intel® Xeon® E5-2420 v2 2.20GHz

I think it's a beast of a machine but of course it always depends on the load expected, how many users etc.

I wanted to particularly check that with the data file on the OS RAID 1, I will be able to have external container storage on the 7.2k drives, as well as back up the database file to the 7.2k drives. Because they're internal, not network, I think this should be fine but figured it'd be worth checking.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Server hardware multiple drive configuration
          eoin

It is my understanding that with FMS the location of the external storage is relative to the location of the database. There is a RC_data_FMS folder in the subdirectory where the database is stored. Inside this RC_Data_FMS there may be subfolders for each database hosted that has remote container storage enabled.

While setting up FMS you can enable 2 additional database storage locations in addition to the default on the FMS installation drive. So in practice you can run your OS and FMS from your first Raid and hold your database and remote storage on a second Raid partition.

You can also define a 3rd raid partition if you had it, for backups.

Raid 1 is the minimum raid level recommended by filemaker, I would suggest Raid 1 more suitable for your OS and FMS installation and a raid 10 (4 drive + hot spare) for your databases and remote stored container data. A further raid for backup at what ever frequency you're comfortable with. Filemaker recommend you do not backup to the same disk subsystem as your database is hosted on.

With FMS choose more processor cores over processor speed. Of course this is dependent on number or complexity of databases hosted and users.

At the end of the day, you can choose how you want to configure the system, but you are stuck with the location of remote storage relative to the database. The most important and critical question to ask is ... how and what tools/hardware will I have to recover this from a catastrophic failure and what is the acceptable timeframe for restoration.  

I

• 2. Re: Server hardware multiple drive configuration
            duncanbaker

Well shucks! There goes that plan... I was hoping to have the DB file on super fast storage and the external data on slightly cheaper slower storage.

With the idea that the data file and external storage need to reside on the same drive, getting large fast/ssd drives is going to be pricey.

Any idea if there's lots of benefit from having FMS (along with OS) on SSD (but with the data file on the slower drive)? Although FMS may be quick, it still has to access the data file which is at a slower speed yeah?

I know it's all down to usage etc but how are 7.2k drives perceived with FMS? Had ok experiences with them?

• 3. Re: Server hardware multiple drive configuration
              wimdecorte

eoin wrote:

It is my understanding that with FMS the location of the external storage is relative to the location of the database. There is a RC_data_FMS folder in the subdirectory where the database is stored. Inside this RC_Data_FMS there may be subfolders for each database hosted that has remote container storage enabled.

While setting up FMS you can enable 2 additional database storage locations in addition to the default on the FMS installation drive. So in practice you can run your OS and FMS from your first Raid and hold your database and remote storage on a second Raid partition.

Not quite, new in FMS14 is that you can specify an additional db folder (that one can be on the fast drive still).  And a separate additional RC folder for any of the files in that additional db folder.  So the RC folder can be on a separate drive.

Depending on the solution though putting the RC files on the slower driver may slow the whole solution down if there is heavy interaction with those....

• 4. Re: Server hardware multiple drive configuration
                duncanbaker

Thanks Wim. So, in theory the following is possible?

RAID set 1, fast/SSD disks - OS and FMS and data file

RAID set 2, slower 7.2k disks - external container storage and (possibly) database backups

Possible 3rd disk (maybe not RAID) for database backups if doing them on RAID set 2 is deemed no-no...

I understand the issue with RC files on slower drives slowing everything down. The fields are in separate tables from the main record where they appear so should only be called when viewed and they are not the 'primary information' in the database (i.e. it's not a photo database).

• 5. Re: Server hardware multiple drive configuration
                  duncanbaker

I can confirm, after having deployed on the new server, that Mr wimdecorte is entirely correct, of course. Using the additional database folder options, you can place a database on one disk and the RC files on another disk. Thanks Wim.