1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 10:14 AM by TSGal

FileMaker Go 14 Issues

User795

All,

I am trying to get confirmation on a series of issues we are having with a brand new app created in FileMaker 14 and now being used in FMGo 14 on iPad 3 minis and some older iPad 2's.  All iOS's are 9.1 or 9.2.

1. Scrolling:  We have a simple list layout with about 980 found records sorted with two sub-summaries.  When the user scrolls rapidly the entire screen goes white and it takes some time for it to catch up and refresh the records.  This seems to be a long standing issues with FMGo, but wanted to confirm.
      2. Data Entry Slowness:  On our List layout we have a single number field for the user to enter inventory numbers.  There is a script trigger set to on object entry which sets the current count in a global variable and an on Object Exit trigger which essentially evaluates the field entry does a comparison, sets an adjacent field and then navigates to the next row.  For both entering and more significantly exiting the field there is a noticeable delay, especially when I compare the same procedure to FMGo13 on the same iPad.  In searching the discussions I am seeing similar observations dating back to the launch of FMGo14.  Is this a known compatibility issue and are others seeing this?
      3. Crashing App:  Under the same scenario above, and I blame the delay issue, if the user starts to rapidly enter data, using the iPad numeric keypad and the enter keypad button, sometimes after 3 to 5 or 20 entries when the correct speed of entering data and performing return and entering data, the entire app crashes.  Again I have seen some mention of this in the discussions but wanted to confirm if this is a known issue.  I have to report back to the client regarding this.

On a separate copy I did perform a recover on the file and there were no errors indicated at all.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
      Todd

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
          schamblee

Do you have a test database with sample data that can be posted for testing?

Is the database hosted or is it on the local device?  If hosted, is it hosted on FMP or FMS?  If hosted, Windows or Mac and Computer Specs?

The main item I have seen complaints about with FMGO14 is that it is slower then FMGo13.

Crashing was an issue in FMGo 13 and had been addressed in FMGo14.   The speed problem could be related to network issues if not running on local device.   ipad have less memory than computers so you may have to limit the number of records that you are dealing with (found set). 

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
            User795

Hi schamblee,

This is essentially local, at least the entry part is.  When the user logs in they pull in that days records for their use then the system closes the remote file.  The users do their data entry and then at some point upload all the data for our processing.  Essentially the problems we are seeing has to do with locally residing data.  I should be able to clean up a copy with test data in it for testing.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
              schamblee

I would suggest creating a test database, I'm sure several users would be happy to test to verify the results, to help to determine if it is a scripting issue or FMGO issue.   If it is a FMGo issue then you can sent it to FMI Tech support. 

I do recall that some users had to add a pause script step to some of there scripts.  I will have to search the forum.

The crashing in FMGo13 had to do with a memory leak, and this issue was addressed in FMGo14.  There was another user that posted a strange speed results with FMGo14, and after each record was processed the device used more memory.  They had to use flush cache to disk to free up the memory.  You might try adding that script step.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
                rgordon

Todd, if you post a file, I can do some testing for you.  I have an iPad Pro, IPad Air and a mini.  I'll test with fm go 13 and 14.  I'm  guessing issue 1 might be related  to processing speed. Newer iPad are much faster than older iPads. Do you have any calcs or conditional formatting on the list?  These could effect performance.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
                  User795

All, I have attached a version of the problem app.  It may only work properly for today but the key issues occur as described after you click the take inventory at the bottom of the page.  The crashing of the app is pretty conistent.

To rgordon, yes the data entry field has conditional formatting to indicate what the current user has actually changed since in some cases they can pull in inventory numbers that are already completed for the day.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
                    rgordon

i currently don't have access to my iPads but I did install the file on my iPhone 6s. The file scrolled extremely fast thru all 1002 records. No lags or crashes. I'll test more later today.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
                      schamblee

I will test today.  I have couple of iphones and an ipad 3.  I will follow up with today.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
                        mikebeargie

If you're looking for more testers, I know a place that's nearby...

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
                          schamblee

Test on ipad 3

1. Scrolling:  We have a simple list layout with about 980 found records sorted with two sub-summaries.  When the user scrolls rapidly the entire screen goes white and it takes some time for it to catch up and refresh the records.  This seems to be a long standing issues with FMGo, but wanted to confirm.

I did experience a white screen but the record appeared with in about half a second after my last swipe.

2. Data Entry Slowness:  On our List layout we have a single number field for the user to enter inventory numbers.  There is a script trigger set to on object entry which sets the current count in a global variable and an on Object Exit trigger which essentially evaluates the field entry does a comparison, sets an adjacent field and then navigates to the next row.  For both entering and more significantly exiting the field there is a noticeable delay, especially when I compare the same procedure to FMGo13 on the same iPad.  In searching the discussions I am seeing similar observations dating back to the launch of FMGo14.  Is this a known compatibility issue and are others seeing this?

I did not experience no real delay going from field to field, not as fast as a computer but what would be expected from an older ipad.

3. Crashing App:  Under the same scenario above, and I blame the delay issue, if the user starts to rapidly enter data, using the iPad numeric keypad and the enter keypad button, sometimes after 3 to 5 or 20 entries when the correct speed of entering data and performing return and entering data, the entire app crashes.  Again I have seen some mention of this in the discussions but wanted to confirm if this is a known issue.  I have to report back to the client regarding this.

I did experience a crash after about 5 records with rapid data entry.   I believe this is a memory issue not a speed issue.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
                            TSGal

tstark:

Thank you for your posts.

1. There was an issue with scrolling with earlier versions of FileMaker Go, but this should not be the case under FileMaker Go 14.0.4.  Using your file, I am unable to replicate the issue.

2. The processing speed of an iOS device is much slower than Mac OS X or Windows.  Data entry will be slower.  I was going to compare the data entry under FileMaker Go 13, but your solution is set to only run under FileMaker Pro 14, and the default Access Privileges do not allow me to change this.

3. It took me several attempts, but I eventually encountered what seemed to be a crash.  In essence, I was sent back to the iPad home screen, but if I double-clicked the home button, I see that FileMaker Go is still running.  Can you confirm?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
                              rgordon

I tested on an iPad mini 1 (same processor as an iPad 2), an iPad Air 1 and an iPad Pro.

iPad mini-  I experienced all three problems.  I don't think a mini or iPad 2 is an acceptible device for this solution

iPad air-  scrolling was very good (only a very minor delay when scrolling very fast); data entry was excellent; I could only get it to crash if I wildly tapped on the keyboard (I think this cause the script trigger to trigger too many times which then caused the crash)

iPad Pro- everything worked great on the iPad Pro; could not get it to crash

• 12. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
                                schamblee

I tested again. It did take more attempts to get it to crash and yes I can confirm that it takes you to the home screen and FMGo is still running.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
                                  Markus Schneider

well.. the 6s is a beast when it comes to speed. That device is really fast - much faster than the iPad Air2

• 14. Re: FileMaker Go 14 Issues
                                    TSGal

schamblee:

Thank you for the confirmation.

I have sent all of this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let everyone know.

tstark - I have sent you a private message requesting some information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next