1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 11:06 PM by gdurniak

Phantom records

RickWhitelaw

Something interesting happened a couple of days ago. A printing script which was quite long and involved subscripts started printing forms (pay slips) with no values. Except for the first record in the found set. I tried many things and must have printed out 100 pages to no avail. Then I debugged the script going through all of the hundreds of steps and noticed that when one subscript went to the last record of the set it had no values except for a nonsense date. All other fields were blank. I copied the date, exited the script and performed a find on the date. No dice. Aha. Phantom records. i couldn't find them but I could see them if I was on a particular layout. So I painstakingly deleted the phantoms and for good measure saved a compacted copy any uploaded it to the server. I also checked it with recover. No issues. By the way the compacting process reduced a 14.5 mb file to 9.5mb. Is this unusual? Anyway, problem solved. The reason I'm posting this is that the idea of phantom records (almost certainly tied to a particular layout) is something to consider when all other explanations fail.

RIck.

• 1. Re: Phantom records
          gdurniak

"Phantom" records are typically due to a scrambled field index,  or a scrambled record catalog

They don't really exist,  so they can not be deleted by hand

Problems like this are in the Table, so they should appear on any layout

Importing into a clone is one way to "remove" them

Compacting a file can make it much smaller,  and also possibly "fix" a Consistency issue

greg

> So I painstakingly deleted the phantoms and for good measure saved a compacted copy any uploaded it to the server. I also checked it with recover. No issues.

By the way the compacting process reduced a 14.5 mb file to 9.5mb. Is this unusual?

Anyway, problem solved. The reason I'm posting this is that the idea of phantom records (almost certainly tied to a particular layout)