6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 1:07 PM by simonpcooper

Filemaker accreditation

georginger

Hello, I wanted to work towards being a certified FM developer.  Do I only need to work through the advanced training series, or are the other stages i need to complete also? Thank you in advance Georgie

• 1. Re: Filemaker accreditation
          macwombat

Hi Georgie.  I'm speaking as someone who is not yet accredited.  I worked through the FTS for version 11, (back then it was all the one document, instead of separated into basic and advanced), sat the test and failed.  I have done a training course for people considering accreditation for version 13 but still haven't sat the test again.  When you sit the test you sign a non-disclosure agreement, but I think I can say the following without breaching that in any way.  In theory, knowing the content of the FTS should be enough.  But for me, knowing the content of the FTS was not enough.  I don't think I understood it well enough to apply it.  I needed to be able to take real world situations and think through solutions in line with how FileMaker works and using the knowledge from the FTS as a resource in my head's knowledge bank.  That is one of the reasons that I am now spending lots of time on these forums, sometimes trying to answer questions, and other times just trying to work out the answer to questions for my own benefit.  Still other times looking at what other developers say.  I hope to sit the test again sometime in the next 6 months and actually pass it!!  Hope this helps.  Chris

• 2. Re: Filemaker accreditation
            nicolai

Hi Georgie,

I agree with Chris, but I just want to make sure we understand your question correctly. If you are asking if there are any prerequisites to take the exam - there is none. You do not need to complete any stages or take any preliminary exams. From the test centre point of view - you just need to turn up and take the exam.

Chris talks about what you need to pass the exam, which is slightly different. FTS is definitely a good start. I also learned a lot from this forum.

Good luck with your exam!

Nicolai

• 3. Re: Filemaker accreditation
              Mike_Mitchell

Chris Cullen wrote:

In theory, knowing the content of the FTS should be enough.  But for me, knowing the content of the FTS was not enough.

It's not.

I needed to be able to take real world situations and think through solutions in line with how FileMaker works

Yes.

The FTS is a good start, but you should also know:

• The various functions and how they work (which ones leave trailing carriage returns, for example)
              • Order of operations in calculations
              • Relationship Graph behavior
              • Scripting
              • Deployment options / environments (Desktop, WebDirect, iOS)

Study the Help file. Study the deployment guides. And just play - experiment with different scenarios, find out what the FileMaker behavior is.

Good luck!

Mike

• 4. Re: Filemaker accreditation
                wimdecorte

Agreed with Mike: do go through the help file, specifically the script reference and the functions reference.  Read each function and pay special attention to what they work or not work in different products, for the text functions: which ones are case sensitive and which ones are not.

Build small demo files for the script steps and functions that you've never used.

Build a recursive custom function if you never have.

• 5. Re: Filemaker accreditation
                  beverly

This forum has a place for resources. Read all the documentation and tech-briefs, work the tutorials, watch the videos.

https://community.filemaker.com/community/resources

beverly

• 6. Re: Filemaker accreditation
                    simonpcooper

Hi there

I've been using FM for a few years and written a number of solutions for my company and a handful of clients.

I've studied the Basic and Advanced Training Series and many other online resources.

I have a Masters Degree but I found the exam tough.

I can't help but feel that unless you are developing full time and constantly testing the boundaries of what FM can do (and it's quite a capable platform) then there is no substitute for a proper structured training program that's going to prepare you for the exam.

I live in the Bahamas so there are no training resources on Island.