3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2016 8:37 AM by siplus

Prevent Duplicating Names in Fields

ChrisJones_1

This is probably an age old problem but it's one problem that still causes me grief. I have a database with a thousand or more clients in it and I’m trying to find a way to stop my users duplicating clients. The clients use a community transport service using an appointment system and often book trips separately or join the service at different intervals. My problem is that there could be a lot of clients with the same name so don't want them duplicating a particular client However, there may be two clients living at the same address with the same , i.e Mrs S Black and Mr F Black and one of them needs to be added so I don’t want to stop them entering the respective data as long as it’s not duplicating an existing client.

I know I can concatenate various fields I’m just not sure how to use it to solve this problem. If someone could explain it to me, or better still, show me an example, it would be very much appreciated. I’m using filemaker 14 on both Mac’s and Windows 7 if this helps.