9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 8:35 AM by TekGlobe

Conundrum...

TekGlobe

I would like to ask if anyone has a encountered the following, and what did they do about this type of problem???

After having introduced a co-worker to FileMaker and show casing my work. I have come to find out that my work is being altered and shown to many higher-up at corporate head quarters. This is after many hours of conversation explaining how things worked in FileMaker, relational DB theory, UI design, and I still offer this person advise even after this. And this is also after having personal conversations on my wanting to transition in to db administration and development, after spending 15+ plus years in the hardware desktop trenches.

I gladly will share my knowledge with anyone as I have found this makes me grow as a person, I just am in disbelief this is happening. Now you may say this is human nature and should have known better! Well hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Not looking to disparage this person, but curious as to how does the community deal with this kind of a problem. Of someone passing of your work or who may have potentially passed off your work as their own.

• 1. Re: Conundrum...
          RickWhitelaw

if you don't give anyone else full access they can't alter your work. If they can't alter your work then they can't remove authorship fields which you can have in the footer of each layout. Something like "Developed 2016 by John Doe". I find your coworker's behaviour despicable if he is indeed not crediting you for your work and passing it off as his/her own. But as I've said it's avoidable. Good luck. Anything you do now will be locking the barn door after the horses have already escaped.

• 2. Re: Conundrum...
            TekGlobe

Thank you for reply Rick,

Yes, whats done is done and now I am very careful of and around this person. I did a few solutions even though rough cause I knew it could help the company I work for but never expected this would happen. Even though I was warned about doing this work. I think I was very exited to be given the chance to do more then my regular gig, as I am coming back to db work after a very long time. I thought this was a good opportunity to show that I was capable of more.

I know sounds naive of me.

• 3. Re: Conundrum...
              beverly

"warned about doing this work" does not seem to be a favorable phrase.

And do you have the opportunity to show your work to prove you did it before being presented by your co-worker?

It's a difficult situation, for sure.

beverly

• 4. Re: Conundrum...
                schamblee

I always tried to take the high road.  College education cost and so does the education of life.   It's one project, and I bet there will be more and hopefully you will get your chance.  You know one person is impressed with your work. 

• 5. Re: Conundrum...
                  PeterDoern

This is certainly a regrettable situation. Obviously any recourse you have depends on the politics and structure of your company. In addition to RickWhitelaw's suggestion of clearly locking and marking your work, I would also make a habit of taking copious development notes and adopt a backup strategy that would let you demonstrate the evolution of a project over time.

For example, I will keep development files in a folder called something like Project Name YYYY MM DD xXXX where YYYY MM DD is the date and XXX is the "build" number. Before I begin work on a file each day, I archive the folder and then increment the XXX. Every so often I throw the archives onto my file server.

In any case, like I say I couldn't advise on any legal recourse but it might help to take the attitude that since you had the skill to come up with the solution and your colleague did not, your colleague is actually in a dangerous position. That is, despite your colleague's tinkering and the support you've given him/her, it is possible that they will catch themselves out when it comes time to: a) explain how they built the system, b) improve the system, or c) squash any bugs in the system.

• 6. Re: Conundrum...
                    beverly

That is, despite your colleague's tinkering and the support you've given him/her, it is possible that they will catch themselves out when it comes time to: a) explain how they built the system, b) improve the system, or c) squash any bugs in the system.

Well said, Peter!

• 7. Re: Conundrum...
                      schamblee

I agree with Beverly, that it will catch up with them and you will have your chance. 

• 8. Re: Conundrum...
                        Extensitech

Many years ago, I was an admin for a corporate headquarters, doing mostly MS Office-type stuff. I noticed that most of the people I was producing work for, from about five different departments, were presenting that work to the company president. Nothing really wrong with that, except my work was getting rave reviews, but the president hardly knew I existed.

I started simply putting my name in the footer of various reports I produced. Nothing flashy. Not calling anyone out. Just "taking pride in my work".

Wasn't long before the president started coming by my desk from time to time to see what I was up to. Later, when he went off to a dot-com startup, he took me with him.

My point is, maybe you could slip some evidence into the work? Some comments with your initials, for instance? It doesn't have to be confrontational or anything, just kind of signing your work?

Just a thought. HTH.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 9. Re: Conundrum...
                          TekGlobe

I, thank each and everyone of you for you replies, all great points to remember and consider. 

Just an update, I stopped all work with this individual and have told this person that since he has taken over I am not willing to do anything where he is concerned. I now get at a least a personal visit 2-6 times a day asking for my opinion and advise.