2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2016 7:12 PM by nutsonshells

Backup email notifications from FileMaker Server sporadic

nutsonshells

Hi FileMaker Support,

I would like to report an issue with FileMaker Server 14 not consistently sending backup email notifications. They seem to work one day and then not on the other.

I have 9 hourly backup schedules and I sometimes get all 9 emails on one day, but not for the next two days, then they start being delivered again.

I have already checked the SMTP settings and everything else but can't seem to find any problem. Since they are not completely failing, it seems to be a problem with FileMaker Server.

The log shows, that backups are being completed, just the email wasn't sent.

It would be good if the log in FileMaker Server could also record the outgoing email activity.

Thanks

Kind regards

Regine

• 1. Re: Backup email notifications from FileMaker Server sporadic
          TSGal

nutsonshells:

Thank you for your post.

If the Event.log shows the backup schedule completing and no email was received, verify the SMTP server was up and running at the time the schedule completed.

To help narrow the cause, create a test script that simply performs Send Mail, captures the error code, and adds it to a table along with the date and time.  Create another schedule that immediately executes after the backup schedule.  If you are not receiving the test emails and backup emails, then check the error codes in the table during those times.  If you are receiving the test emails but not the backup emails, consider recreating the schedule.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Backup email notifications from FileMaker Server sporadic
            nutsonshells

Hi There,

Thanks for the info.

I have created a script and sure enough the emails failed again today and the test didn't come through either.

I have now changed to a different SMTP server and both backup and the script emails have worked again. Based on this I have to assume that the SMTP server has been the issue. Something I wouldn't have thought as it is quite a big company and I was expecting them to have a reliable service.

I will keep monitoring it for the next days and will report back.

Thanks

Kind regards

Regine