1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 1:24 PM by siplus

FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)

synergy46

None of my scripts will print.

If I try and print I get:  Skills105Error.png

So, I 'rebuild' the fmp12 file and everything 'seems' ok but the scripts will still NOT PRINT.

If I open the same fmp12 file on my PC, it works; ie, it prints ok.

filemakerrebuild.png

I keep several copies of the file, but none of the current files work. 

The question is :  "What causes this problem?"

• 1. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
          macwombat

Is this happening both with print scripts and if you try to print non-scripted - ie from the File menu> print option?  Can you identify with script debugger is it happening when it tries to action the print script step or at some other point?  Does it happen on the same layout every time?  Sometimes there can be corruptions in a file that the rebuild doesn't pick up.  I had a situation where a file kept crashing and we finally resolved it by rebuilding the layout that it crashed on from scratch - but a recover on the file never picked up the issue.

• 2. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
            synergy46

I am trying to print a script.  I go into the Script Manager, select a script, any script, then select FILE / Print.  Boom.

So, I am reconstructing my app starting with a new copy. 

Importing the scripts from the old to the new is easy. 

Question:  Is there anyway to 'bulk' copy or import my layouts?  It looks like there is only the method of dragging the fields from the old layout to the new on a  ' 1 by 1' basis...

Thanks

Ron

• 3. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
              macwombat

Ah - sorry, I misunderstood.  Its not crashing when you are using a script to print a layout.  It is crashing when you are trying to print the script itself.  I haven't heard of that before, but before re-creating your whole solution you might try saving a clone copy.  Try printing the scripts from the clone.  If that works, then you can import your data from the old file.  Would be a lot quicker than recreating all your layouts.

• 4. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
                synergy46

The 'clone' idea seemed to work.

I cloned.  I imported the data.

But, when I went (from the clone) to script manager and selected any script and then tried to File / Print it... FileMaker CRASHED!

This is really mysterious.

I also spent 3 days rebuilding the database:  copying layouts, importing scripts etc.  About the time I have a working copy, I test it and even though the file was stored on my local hard drive, when I tried to print the script it CRASHED Filemaker.....

I have other applications and this does not happen with them (thankfully).  I can't figure it out.  It doesn't seem like it is filemaker but it also DOES seem like it is filemaker.

Does anyone want to look at the crashed file?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6775417/Skills107%20Clone.fmp12.zip

Does it crash Filemaker on your system?

PS  I am running Filemaker on a Mac with OSX 10.11.3.  When I run this file on my PC, it does NOT crash Filemaker.... huh?

• 5. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
                  synergy46

Just by chance, I happened to remember approximately what I changed (because I try and print frequently).  This is what I found:

If I use FILE OPTIONS and designate a SCRIPT TRIGGER for On 1st Window Open of my OnStartUp script it crashes when printing ANY script.  When I remove the script trigger; no crashing.

on1stWindowOpen.png

Below is the OnStartUp script.

FMCrashPrinting.png

Before you conclude that the problem is the loading of the plugin, even though I 'disabled' the plug-in lines, it still crashed when printing.

The only thing that works, is to not put ONStartUP as a script trigger.

To investigate tomorrow:  What if I put ONSTartup as a OnWIndowClose for example?

What if I put some other script in OnFirstWindowOpen?

What if I rewrite OnStartUp as a NEW script?

It is late so I will address this tomorrow.

I noticed others have had this same issue since 2011.  I hope this helps ...

• 6. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
                    synergy46

OK.  Here it is:

If I include this line of script in my OnStartup script FM will crash when I try and print any script.

CloseWindow.png

I have run debug on this script, when the app starts, and it runs without incident.  

It is just the fact of having included this script step that makes printing scripts impossible.

Why?

Other apps on the same local computer DO NOT DO THIS....?????

Comments:?

Ron

• 7. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
                      synergy46

Also, if I DO NOT put the script in OnFirstWindowOpen but instead run it manually after the program loads, when I try and print a script from Script Manager it crashes Filemaker ....

But, FM has no problem, according to debug, when the script runs..... What is that about?

• 8. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
                        TSGal

synergy46:

Thank you for your posts.

I have downloaded your file, opened it on my Mac OS X 10.11.3 using FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.4, and I am unable to replicate the issue.  In Script Workspace, I have selected the script "OnStartup", and printed successfully.  I ensured the "Close Window" script step was active.  I also printed a few other scripts successfully.

Do you have another machine available to you?  If so, can you try the database file on that machine?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
                          synergy46

RE: Other machine.

Yes, it works as expected on my HP Windows machine.

It was the Close Window $Windowname that seemed to do it.  So, I just did what I was trying to do another way.

Still, it is weird that this would happen...

• 10. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
                            jcm38

Hi synergy46,

Same issue for me with your file when printing one script. (the work scripts window is in the background of the main window)

When I set not as "floating windows" but "document windows" in your status script for the new windows instruction, no crash when printing a script.

(so the work scripts window is in the foreground)

Same for you ?

Sorry for my english

JCM

• 11. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
                              synergy46

Yes!  When I changed the window from floating to document it worked.  If I keep it as 'floating' and use the close $window line, it fails.

Good find.

Looks like a Filemaker BUG to me.... you?

Ron

• 12. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
                                TSGal

synergy46:

I will report the issue once I am able to recreate the crash.  For now, using the steps you provided, I am unable to reproduce the crash.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
                                  synergy46

hmmm... Did you download the file?

jcm38 and I have both had it fail....

(I just worked around the problem... but I note this has been an issue since 2011....

• 14. Re: FM 1404 Adv Script Print Crashes Filemaker  (On OSX)
                                    synergy46

sorry... I see you DID DL the file...

1 2 Previous Next