11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 7:59 AM by siplus

Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question

corno

New to the community, please be kind.

I did try to find an answer in discussions...

We have just upgrade FMP Pro to v.14.0.4 from v.10

I need to update some layouts. We have a barebones style, generally white background, black text and some color to highlight.

When I am in Layout Mode, all of our backgrounds have gone grey. In Browser, Preview and Find Mode, the layouts display as I would expect with a white background.

Can I set Layout Mode so it will look like the layout in Browse Mode? I can change the background color by right clicking the Part tab in the layout. The change is shows up when I am in Browse Mode, the background in Layout Mode remains grey.

I have also tried changing the theme and style. The background in Layout Mode stubbornly remains grey.

I'm sure that I'm missing something so elementary, it's never needed to be said.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Dawn

• 1. Re: Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question
          coherentkris

layout mode colors are probably imutable

• 2. Re: Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question
            steveromig

New to the community, please be kind.

I did try to find an answer in discussions...

We have just upgrade FMP Pro to v.14.0.4 from v.10

I need to update some layouts. We have a barebones style, generally white background, black text and some color to highlight.

When I am in Layout Mode, all of our backgrounds have gone grey. In Browser, Preview and Find Mode, the layouts display as I would expect with a white background.

Can I set Layout Mode so it will look like the layout in Browse Mode? I can change the background color by right clicking the Part tab in the layout. The change is shows up when I am in Browse Mode, the background in Layout Mode remains grey.

I have also tried changing the theme and style. The background in Layout Mode stubbornly remains grey.

I'm sure that I'm missing something so elementary, it's never needed to be said.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Dawn

The method that you are using, adding a fill color to the body part, is kinda the old way of doing things.  While it works in many applications, you can now also specify a Background Color to your layouts using the Inspector.

Don't have anything selected on your layout and you will see "Layout Background" displayed in the Appearance tab of the Inspector.  From here you can specify a fill color or even an image if you so desire.

Image1.png

The benefit of using this method over the method you are using is that is encompasses the entire layout and not just the individual part.

Using the "old" method and the "Layout Background" method may explain why you are seeing differences in Layout mode.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question
              corno

Thanks steveromig!

I had done as you suggested, and changed the Styling and Setting the Filling color, but to no avail.

The background color does get set to whatever the fill color is and I can see the changewhen I switch to Preview, Browse or Find Mode. The background in Layout Mode stays grey.

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem is the translation from v.10 to v.14.

• 4. Re: Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question
                corno

I should probably add, that I have created a new database and can change the background color in Layout Mode and the change is reflected in Layout Mode.

• 5. Re: Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question
                  BruceRobertson

Thanks steveromig!

I had done as you suggested, and changed the Styling and Setting the Filling color, but to no avail.

The background color does get set to whatever the fill color is and I can see the changewhen I switch to Preview, Browse or Find Mode. The background in Layout Mode stays grey.

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem is the translation from v.10 to v.14.

There are several important parts of this:

1. Layouts now have a width setting and the area to the right of the width will always remain gray in layout mode.

2. You do need to sure you click the layout body section when attempting to change it settings.

3. Layout Background is different form Body part, Header Part, etc. Be sure you have selected the Body part.

4. Note that only if the body part (or header part, etc) has fill set to none will you see the Layout Background color.

5. Ack, what's all the extra glop in your replies?

• 6. Re: Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question
                    corno

Egads! I was replying directly from my email account.

For everyone reading this, learn from my mistake. Do not reply directly from an email account, the whole of the email, gets posted here.

I think you have solved it for me! I won't know until I'm back at work, though.

It must be that the layouts width and height were set to 0 when I translated the file. That didn't

show up in any of the documentation I found.

In the new FMP14 test database, I created, I was able to control the background of the different parts of the layout: header,

body and footer, as well as the background for the whole layout.

• 7. Re: Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question
                      corno

Well, it's not that the layout size is set to 0x0. :-(

If anyone can shed light...

The database was created in FMP7, updated to FMP10 (without changes to the layout) and updated to FMP14.

In Layout mode, changes to the background are not seen. The background remains a medium grey. I can add a fill color, gradient or add an image. I can see the background in Browse, Preview or Find modes, but not in Layout Mode. When I created a new test database, the background in Layout Mode changes as I make changes to it and I can also see the results.

In the process, I have learned how to:

change the background for a whole layout

Create styles, edit styles and apply styles

Change Themes and edit themes and define styles for themes.

Anybody have any ideas, before I seriously consider porting the database to a brand new one.

• 8. Re: Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question
                        siplus

what happens if you duplicate the layout and associate any theme (example: Vibrant) to this duplicate layout ?

• 9. Re: Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question
                          corno

The behavior is inherited, if a layout is copied or a new one is created.

For the sake of closure...

I spent 2 hours with FMP Tech support. Conclusion is that the behavior is due to the assignment of the theme
                          "Classic" that happens during the file conversion to FMP14. And that there is no work around. We tried reimporting,

going back to an untouched version and opening it in FMP13, Same behavior shows up in FMP13.

My fear that I would have to port the database to FMP 14 by creating a new database was confirmed. A redesign is in order, but getting the resources and the time for the project is a huge obstacle. sigh.

Thanks for the help!

• 10. Re: Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question
                            corno

Took a relaxed brain and a retina screen to solve the mystery.

Sure enough, it was the grid that was the problem. The major spacing was set to .014 inches which

caused the grid obscure the view of the layout background. The awful low res screen I use at work

obscured the grid, so it looks like a field of grey. Even zoomed in at 200%, it still looks like a field of grey.

I opened the database on my Mac with my beautiful display, and I could see the red peeking through

the grid. Went to View menu and turned off the grid and Layout Mode is WYSIWYG!

• 11. Re: Upgraded from FMP10 to 14 - Layout Mode Backround question
                              siplus

LOL this is a bad joke I have to make to my coworkers and watch them go crazy