7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 4:39 PM by richardsrussell

Combination of "Preview" and "Resize To Fit" Truncates Page Right and Bottom

richardsrussell

FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.4

Macintosh OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)

Data-entry screen uses Top Navigation part, which means I don’t get to see page margins (even tho it was set up to do so before I added the Top Navigation part). I go from there to an output screen which ALSO has a Top Navigation part, but I then issue a “Resize To Fit” command and have it go into Preview mode. It resizes to fit the Browse version of the screen but not the Preview version, which has the right edge and bottom cut off. The Preview version DOES show the desired page margins (but not all of the desired page content).

How to replicate: Works this way 100% of the time.

Workarounds: I was thinking that maybe I could turn off the Page Margins option under the View menu, but it’s grayed out so I can’t get at it, so that didn’t work. I ended up hard-coding (ick) the page dimensions with a "Move/Resize Window" command to 834 points high by 630 wide, so now it shows the whole page in Preview mode but ends up oversized for when I revert to Browse mode and the page margins vanish once again.

• 1. Re: Combination of "Preview" and "Resize To Fit" Truncates Page Right and Bottom
          TSGal

richardsrussell:

Thank you for your post.

Show Page Margins is disabled when there is one or more Navigation parts on the Layout.

"Resize to Fit" will only resize the window to display all items.  If the objects appear off the right margin of a printed page, then those items will not display in Preview.  If part of the objects appear on the page but extend off the page, they will be truncated in Preview.

Rather than using "Move/Resize Window", consider using a percentage less than 100% in Page Setup to adjust the Preview/Print display.  That way, it will display properly in Browse and adjust itself for printing.

If you are switching to another layout for Preview, you may want to consider replace the Top Navigation part with a Header part, as this will then allow you to have Page Margins.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Combination of "Preview" and "Resize To Fit" Truncates Page Right and Bottom
            richardsrussell

Thank you for your prompt response. I fear I have done an inadequate job of explaining the problem. Perhaps some screenshots will help. This is what I get when I activate the script that jumps to the output layout and, as its last step, enters Preview mode:

Preview Mode.jpeg

You can see that the right edge of the page's content is truncated. Not shown in this screenshot is that the bottom of the page is likewise cut off.

The very next thing I did after taking the above shot was to switch into Browse mode, which looked like this:

Browse Mode.jpeg

As you can see, the content fills the screen nicely from side to side, and the very handy Top Navigation part has come into view.

Then I switched into Layout view and widened the right edge of the window to demonstrate that all page elements are indeed within the designated page margins:

Layout Mode.jpeg

If I really must choose between properly functioning page margins and the Top Navigation part, I'll opt for the latter, but it sure would be nice to have both.

• 3. Re: Combination of "Preview" and "Resize To Fit" Truncates Page Right and Bottom
              TSGal

richardsrussell:

The screen shots help, but I am still unable to replicate the issue.

In my tests, I have a layout with a temporary Title Header.  With Show Page Margins active, I am able to place several objects along the right edge of the page margin.  In Preview, everything appears as expected.  Then, I change the Title Header part to a Top Navigation part, and Show Page Margins becomes inactive.  When I go to Preview, the objects appear complete along the right edge, although a bit higher because the Title Header has been replaced.

Therefore, temporarily change your Top Navigation to a Title Header.  Turn on Show Page Margins.  Is the page margin line displaying?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Combination of "Preview" and "Resize To Fit" Truncates Page Right and Bottom
                richardsrussell

I changed the Top Navigation part to a Title Header, as you suggested, but I didn't have to "turn on" Page Margins. They just reappeared on their own. Apparently the file remembered that they'd been there before I installed the Top Navigation part. But still, when I activate the script that jumps to that layout and enters Preview mode, the window resizes to cut off the right edge of the display. However, the left edge (and also the top) does show the light-gray 36-point border I've allowed around the outer edge of the page.

And now a new wrinkle has materialized. My window in Preview mode also shows the bottom border of the page (which it hadn't earlier), but it extends farther downward to the bottom of the screen instead of having the lower edge of the window terminate at the bottom margin of the layout page.

Is this something where it would help to send you a copy of the file? It's a small, stand-alone file.

• 5. Re: Combination of "Preview" and "Resize To Fit" Truncates Page Right and Bottom
                  TSGal

richardsrussell:

It would definitely help to send a copy of the file.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Combination of "Preview" and "Resize To Fit" Truncates Page Right and Bottom
                    TSGal

richardsrussell:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I  noticed in your script that you are adjusting the Window "Resize to Fit" while in Browse mode; not Preview mode.  Since Preview requires more room because of the page margins in Preview, the right side will be cut off.  Therefore, in the script "Preview Message", insert after the second line Enter Preview Mode, Adjust Window [Resize to Fit].  Then, later on in the script, if Browse is selected and you Enter Browse Mode, Adjust Window [Resize to Fit] to accommodate the smaller display with the Preview margins no longer displaying.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Combination of "Preview" and "Resize To Fit" Truncates Page Right and Bottom
                      richardsrussell

You are a hero once again, TSGal. I did a modification similar to what you suggested, but without hard-coding in "Adjust Window [Resize to Fit]", because I give my users control over how they'd like their windows to behave, using a global field called "Standard Window". Here are the relevant scripts:

Standard Window.jpeg

Preview Message.jpeg

You'll notice that I inserted the "Perform Script [ "Standard Window" ]" step twice here, once after going into Preview Mode and again after allowing the escape hatch into Browse Mode. This has the file performing like a champ! And in less than a day's turnaround! I hope FMI realizes what a jewel they have in you.