1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2016 4:52 PM by cdt3

Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users

cdt3

I have used web direct with just a few concurrent users, but now it is looking like more than 50 might be required.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a single server for the data linked to two servers that are just for web direct?  So 50 would log into one web direct server and 50 the other web direct server, but still be accessing the same data server?

I am just fishing for ideas on how to push the envelope and make it feasible for more than 50.  Any ideas are welcome, wild and outrageous included!

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
          macwombat

FMServer 14 Tech specs indicates up to 100 concurrent users for WebDirect:

FileMaker Server 14 Technical Specifications | FileMaker

• 2. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
            cdt3

Thanks Chris! I knew that but for some reason I had 50 stuck in my head last night.  So what about more than 100?  Has anyone been successful or at least had some ideas on how to get more than 100 web direct users to work?  Is the idea of having two web direct servers, serviced by one master database server a valid idea.  Again, just looking for ideas.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
              csetyono

The number of users is limited more to the hardware rather than the software.

Imagine if you have all 100 users doing sort command for 1,000,000 records.

I've been testing the Filemaker Server since version 9.0 and the latest version 14 has not improved much in terms of speed.

At the moment, Filemaker Server is too slow and useless for anything more than a few users and with database of over 10,000 records.

Regards,

Clifford

• 4. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
                Mike_Mitchell

csetyono wrote:

At the moment, Filemaker Server is too slow and useless for anything more than a few users and with database of over 10,000 records.

Balderdash. I've seen systems with dozens of users, and databases well over 1,000,000 records. It has way more to do with design and hardware configuration (including network),

If you're trying to say "FileMaker isn't Oracle," fine. But please don't put out misleading statements like this. People come to this forum and get their initial impressions of the product from what (supposedly) experienced developers say.

• 5. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
                  csetyono

Like you said, the limitation is on the hardware, which is what I said in the beginning.

You can have a million record, but if 50 users do a sort command on such a large database simultaneously, then Filemaker is going to crash and die. It's just not designed for such task.

I'm currently using Filemaker Server 13 on database with about 17,000 records. Even with such a small database, doing a sort command takes at least 15 seconds per user and the performance drops further with more users.

I've been using Filemaker since version 5.0 and the weakest part of Filemaker is its speed. Filemaker spends too much time on improving the cosmetic features rather than on performance.

• 6. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
                    Mike_Mitchell

What are you sorting on? Indexed sorts of 1,000,000 records process very fast for me. You sorting on unstored calculations, maybe?

It sounds like your solution is problematic, not Server.

• 7. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
                      csetyono

Index sort is of course quite fast.

My sort script is compound sort.

1) find records where the container contains photo. Photo = yes

then do sort order:

1) photo timestamp - descending sort

followed by 2) date entered with timestamp - descending sort

• 8. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
                        Mike_Mitchell

Are all these fields in the same table? Are they all indexed?

• 9. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
                          user22862

I will concur that containers have an impact on speed. We move thousands of photo records from iPads to server on a twice daily basis. During this process the server also processes the photo and creates a smaller image ( 800x600 ) Our total image table is well above 52,000 records, so not close to your 1,000,000 photos, I HOPE WE NEVER SEE THAT MANY!

The delay we experience is more noticeable on the iPads, as they summarize the list of ID's that are being synchronized. However I do also notice that the first round of thumbnail creation ( first iPad back to shop ), is a noticeable difference in sync time. I know this is not related to web direct performance, but wanted to give feedback on the containers and possible effects on speed.

• 10. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
                            csetyono

No, the photo container is on another table so that we can display several photos on one record.

You can see the layout below:

rg sample.pdf_page_1.jpg

• 11. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
                              csetyono

Our database only contains about 2500 records with photos, however each record can contain from 1 - 10 photos. This is why we need to do multiple / compound sort.

• 12. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
                                Mike_Mitchell

That's where your problem is coming from. FileMaker has to load the entire related set (including the photos) in order to perform the Sort, or the Find. All that bandwidth takes time. Are you making use of the Get ( Thumbnail ) function? Is the Photo = yes field indexed?

I suggest that, instead of trying to sort on the photo timestamp, you instead have a single "latest photo TS" field in the parent table and populate it via scripting. This will sort much faster.

• 13. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
                                  csetyono

That would be a band-aid solution. My point is the sort engine should do the optimization so the developer can focus on the functionality of the database.

People use Filemaker because it's easy to use. Just like webdirect one doesn't need to know about HTML.

I have another text only database with 20,000 records. When I open the file I need to sort the entry date. Again the sort function becomes slower with increasing records.

The reason I moved to Filemaker server was I thought the sort function would be done on the server side but it turned out there was little improvement

• 14. Re: Web direct with more than 50 concurrent users
                                    csetyono

I don't use [get thumbnail]. Instead I use a portal to display the photos which are stored on the related table.

In other words, I have one table for restaurant outlets containing the restaurant address and map. Another related table contains all the dish photos and its prices and dish names from the respective restaurants.

In the restaurant layout I created a portal to display the photos from that specific restaurant. That's all there is to it. A simple restaurant guide with scrolling dish photos and prices.

The photo field to indicate [yes] if there's a photo in the container field, is indexed. Also the timestamp is indexed.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next