3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 8:39 PM by macwombat

Dividing Tables Into Sections

AngelArs

If you have a table that you want to break down into different parts, how do you do it? I have a Numbers file that I've imported as a new solution, can I break it up into different (smaller) tables in FileMaker, or should I do this in Numbers first?

What's the best way?

• 1. Re: Dividing Tables Into Sections
          macwombat

When you are importing, in the Import Field Mapping dialog, you can select the Target to be a New Table.  This means that if you have multiple tables / worksheets first then it quickly creates the new tables with the field names etc.  My opinion only, but I reckon that is probably the quickest way rather than trying to split the FileMaker table into multiples.

• 2. Re: Dividing Tables Into Sections
            AngelArs

Thanks Chris, I think that's working. I just imported 7 copies of the same file and renamed them as needed. Now there is 7 separate tables.

Because I imported multiple copies of the same file, when I delete records from one table, that same record will still be in the other tables correct?

• 3. Re: Dividing Tables Into Sections
              macwombat

AngelArs wrote:

Because I imported multiple copies of the same file, when I delete records from one table, that same record will still be in the other tables correct?

Yes.