9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 10:43 PM by siplus

Dropdown List doesn't honor "Show 2nd Field" after selection

DDoughtie

I could swear this was working. I had a Drop Down list on a field with a Value List  based on saving the ID (as first field) with Show 2nd Field Only selected (it contained the name).  So, you click on the Drop Down and see the value list and can select the name. It inserts the first field which is a serial number. The Text disappears and all you see is the serial number.  Like I said I thought I had this working where is was only showing the second field. I think this stopped working after  I cleared all the Tab stops from the page so hitting the enter key didn't take you anywhere..

Now, the only way I can get the "second field" to show up after selecting the serial number is to set it to be a Popup Menu. Turn it back to a Dropdown list and it only shows the serial number. Is this normal behavior?

Using FMP 14.0.3 on Mac OS X 10.9.

• 1. Re: Dropdown List doesn't honor "Show 2nd Field" after selection
          BillisSaved

Good afternoon Daniel,

I hope your day is going well. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the intended function of the "Also display values from 2nd field" if for display purposes only. It should only place the first value into the field with the control style set to drop down list. You may be able to configure the field to use a Lookup to replace the value inserted via drop down list selection with the desired field value, provided that does compromise some other functionality. Hopes this helps. Have a great day!

God bless,

Bill

• 2. Re: Dropdown List doesn't honor "Show 2nd Field" after selection
            DDoughtie

My days has been quite well. Thank you for asking. The question is why does it show the "text" and not the serial number when it's a Popup Menu? You only get the text when selecting a  Drop-Down List then it shows the serial number (first field.). I've used this method for years. I've attached examples. I created a simple table with three records. The Value list is: First field is "pk_id" (populated with Get(UUID). The second field is "Data"  and the record values are horse, cat, dog. The value list is set to Show only second value. I applied the list to a field called "Result".

So, in the first screen shot you see that the Drop down list is showing the values in the list. The second screen shot shows the result after selecting a value. It shows the serial number in the one formatted to use Drop Down List and the second one displays the 2nd value, Dog.

The bottom field is the same field but as an edit box and you should see the serial number. Doesn't matter if you select the value from the Drop Down list or the Popup List, the results are the same.  So, why doesn't Drop-Down List show the second field?

DanScreen Shot #1.png

Screen Shot #2.png

• 3. Re: Dropdown List doesn't honor "Show 2nd Field" after selection
              peterba1

Add a tab stop to each of the two fields.

• 4. Re: Dropdown List doesn't honor "Show 2nd Field" after selection
                DavidJondreau

It sounds like Pop ups are demonstrating your preferred behavior. Why are you using Drop Downs instead of Pop ups?

In my experience, I never use Drop Downs with the "second field" issue. Drop downs allow users to type into fields, something I never want in a field storing a unique ID.

• 5. Re: Dropdown List doesn't honor "Show 2nd Field" after selection
                  user19752

Drop down list allow users to enter the field and edit value anyway, so it shows the entered value, not from the list after selection.

• 6. Re: Dropdown List doesn't honor "Show 2nd Field" after selection
                    DDoughtie

I built a table that holds commonly used terms by someone on patrol (missing child; illegal parked car; violation of rules. Etc) so they don't have to type commonly used terms over and over. These would be used as short descriptions for reports.  Some terms are more common to a location than others so the table also holds the location ID. So I was attempting provide the user the entire list from all locations and one narrowed to the location (much shorter via a related filter). I don't want to give them direct access to a static value list because they might change existing terms.  But how to add new terms? If they don't find a term they need they can add one by clicking again in the drop down and adding it. They could then click a button and it would add the term to the table with that location ID. But they could also find a term commonly used at another location from the long list and add it to their location using the same button. There are 2 value lists produced out of the table, one has everything and one is filtered by the relation. A second entry field uses the popup with the filtered list.

I think the flaw is my attempt to use a serial number  to ID the term. I wanted to use the ID for statistical purposes so I could alter the label and not affect existing stats that were pulled into a report generator via SQL.

I had to juggle temporarily using a newly typed in term until it could be replaced by an ID.

As I think about it, if I need to change a term I'll just find all instances and change the term. I might drop the use of the UUID and simply rely on the label. Less moving parts. I think I just made it overly complicated. But it still puzzles me the two field controls don't act them same. (Someone suggested adding tab stops. I did with no affect.)

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: Dropdown List doesn't honor "Show 2nd Field" after selection
                      user19752

If you need to show 2nd value, you can use 2nd field from related table.

Put it over the drop down field. Make it un enterable (at least browse mode) and remove tab order.

When you click the field, you will enter underlying drop down field.

• 8. Re: Dropdown List doesn't honor "Show 2nd Field" after selection
                        DDoughtie

I also just realized that I have no control over the iPads in the field so if someone uses a different iPad in the same location I have no control over the UUIDs so using them for statistics would be a management nightmare. Better to stick to the terms.

• 9. Re: Dropdown List doesn't honor "Show 2nd Field" after selection
                          siplus

Popups allow that, too, if you enable "Allow entry of other values", but that's just looking for trouble when using a Show second field list...