1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 9:23 AM by siplus

Related Records Question

Ben_B94

I have,

Locations ----< Tools ----< Signout >----Staff

In my tools table I have Location ID foreign key and on the tools layout the foreign key is a dropdown, value list = Location::Site_Name field

On my Signout table I have a tools foreign key, and on the signout layout I have a dropdown of the toolIDs which when selected auto-fill related fields I placed on the layout for tools, like category, model etc but it doesnt autofill the location field when I place it. I thought by having a dropdown like above I was setting a particular site for each tool record?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Related Records Question
          siplus

A location Name is a bad Key idea to start with, and that's what it's going to happen if you fill it in with elements of a simple list. You need a composite list, Location ID and [√] Also display values from second field (Site_Name), show values only from second field. Use a popup list, not a dropdown one.

A tool can only have one location, in your signout table you don't need to copy the location value to a local field, you only need to show it so you can use a merge field: <<Locations::Site_Name>>.