5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 4:13 PM by jormond

Screen Flickering

dgentz

I'm currently using FMPro 8.0v3 on my laptop, and can't afford to upgrade to another version right now. When I'm designing a database in layout mode, anytime I move an object or field, the screen flickers making it very difficult to work with.  Is there a way to fix this, possibly a resolution

setting that I can change on my computer?

• 1. Re: Screen Flickering
          steveromig

I'm currently using FMPro 8.0v3 on my laptop, and can't afford to upgrade to another version right now. When I'm designing a database in layout mode, anytime I move an object or field, the screen flickers making it very difficult to work with.  Is there a way to fix this, possibly a resolution

setting that I can change on my computer?

Probably need to know the platform and OS version you are using before we can attempt to provide help on this.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Screen Flickering
            dgentz

Sorry Steve, I'm using Windows 7

• 3. Re: Screen Flickering
              steveromig

Sorry Steve, I'm using Windows 7

FileMaker Pro 8.x is not certified to run under Windows 7.  So that alone could be the problem.  The Windows operating systems that have been tested with FileMaker Pro 8.x are:

• Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
              • Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4)

Not sure how much help I can be in this case.  I have not tried FileMaker Pro 8.x and Windows 7 to see exactly what happens.  But some generic things you can try are...

• Does it happen in all files or just the one you are working on
              • Check the "HiDPI" settings and make sure they are set for 100%.  This could be the "Make it easier to read what's on your screen" setting in Windows 7
              • Verify you are using the latest version of your video driver

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Screen Flickering
                Steve Wright

It's been a while since I have used V8... One of the most annoying things (also in 9 although improved) was flickering / screen redrawing, including in the manage database window, not just layouts.. I complained enough about it back then although all this is all in the past now, thankfully.

I will be honest, the info below is sketchy at best.. I don't even know if the options are available in Win 7 and can't remember if it was XP, vista or 7 I was using 8 with

So here goes:

Locate and right click the FMP exe, choose properties then compatibility, there used to be an option to "Disable desktop composition"...that used to help.

There was also a way to reduce graphics hardware acceleration, again.. I'm not 100% sure where to direct you to for this, I think it was Control Panel > Display > Settings > Troubleshoot

Even with the changes, it was better, but never truly gone. There is very little you can do to remedy it other than upgrade, from my past experiences.

• 5. Re: Screen Flickering
                  jormond

"To disable or reduce Hardware Acceleration inWindows 8 or Windows 7, first right-click on the Desktop and from the context menu, choose the Personalization option. Then, select Display from the left panel of the window and click on 'Change display settings'. This will open the 'Troubleshooter' tab."

If the hardware allows you to change that setting, click "Change". That should open up the hardware acceleration tab.