8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2016 4:16 PM by user19752

How to use summary field in calculation on a different layout?

Okanagan.Mike

Hi All:

I thought I posted this before 9:00 this morning, but it doesn't seem to have shown up. If I have double posted, my apologies.

Work progresses on my conference database solution. I have a layout for conference sessions that looks like this:

Capture1.JPG

and like this:

Capture.JPG

The Status field gets updated (and conditionally formatted) based on a calculation subtracting AvailableSpaces from MaxSpace, the limit for the session. It works well when I update the AvailableSpaces manually.

What I want to do, though is have the AvailableSpaces update by looking at the summary field in a second table. This table is loaded from time to time with the registration data provided to us from our online registration service. The table looks like this:

Capture2.JPG

SessionTotals is a summary field that counts how many registrations there are for a session (once I sort on the SessionIDfk).

I can't figure out how to take the total number of registrations for each session and have it appear on the correct record for that session on the Sessions layout.

Am I going about this intelligently? Is there a better or more elegant solution?

Thanks for your help.

Mike