3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 8:01 AM by TSGal

Switch From List To Detail Layout Goes To Wrong Record

Get(3rdRockData)

Here's the scenario:

1. After a scripted perform find runs I end up with a found set in list view. Record 1 is the active record, as expected.
      2. If I click on a button in a record row that runs a script that switches to detail layout, it switches layouts but displays the first record regardless of the record I click on

This behavior only occurs when I click on the button immediately after a new found set is created. If I wait a couple of seconds it goes to the correct record. Also, once this happens, all subsequent clicks on the button in list view take me to the correct record. But if I create a new found set and click immediately on the button, on say the 5th or 10th record, it switches to detail view but it's on the first record, not the 5th or 10th.

Below is a screenshot of a section of the list view to help make things more clear. Imagine this is a newly created found set. As you can see, SD3 Arugula Roquette Jumbo is the 1st and active record ... completely expected. If I were to click immediately on the green arrow button on the second record, SD31 Lettuce Buttercrunch ...., the script would switch layout to a detail view layout, but record 1, SD3 Arugula Roquette Jumbo would show as the current record. Same applies if I clicked on the 3rd or 4th record.

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 4.35.57 PM.png

As I said, if I wait a couple of seconds I don't get this behavior.

Here's what else might be helpful in figuring out the problem:

1. A script trigger fires on record load in list view, but that only installs a custom menu set
      2. I can't replicate it when running Script Debugger. Doing so seems to give FMP time to catch up and figure out which record it's on
      3. I verified the button object with the arrow icon is 100% contained within the row, i.e. it's not hanging out of the body layout part
      4. Once this happens I cannot get it to repeat regardless of how fast I click unless I create a new found set, then it occurs the first time only again

FM Version: FileMaker Pro & Advanced, 14.0.4

Happens when I try with our client's version that's hosted with an FM hosting provider (over WAN, but performance is pretty decent), and it happens on a Dev version hosted in-house over our LAN (excellent performance)

Our client keeps editing the wrong records because of this and we can't figure out how to fix it. Has anyone seen this behavior?

• 1. Re: Switch From List To Detail Layout Goes To Wrong Record
          TSGal

Get(3rdRockData):

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  I have created a List view with several records, performed a Find to create a found set, and immediately clicked on a button that executes the single step "Go to Layout".

Let me know what I am doing differently than you.

If you have the same steps, and you have a reproducible case, then I would like to see a copy of your solution.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Switch From List To Detail Layout Goes To Wrong Record
            Get(3rdRockData)

Hi,

I think we figured out the problem. We believe that the script that was triggered on record load (which was installing a menu set) was somehow interfering with the script that switched to the detail view layout.

We set the “go to detail view” button’s script options to Halt Script for other scripts that are running at the time, and we haven’t been able to reproduce the reported behavior.

Is this still a bug? I’m a bit on the fence on this one, but leaning towards bug since the script was invoked from record A but the result was to land on record B.

I’ll send files if you’d like and switch them back so you can reproduce the unexpected result.

-Kent

Kent Searight

503 • 928 • 7555  •  www.3rdRockData.com

FileMaker Certified 7-14  •  FileMaker Business Alliance Member

• 3. Re: Switch From List To Detail Layout Goes To Wrong Record
              TSGal

Get(3rdRockData):

From your description, it is still difficult to determine the timing of the Menu Set installed and the actions taken, and whether an issue exists.  Feel free to send in the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.