Is this a known bug?
Yes, but not with filemaker, with excel! Not really a bug, just need to export the file from excel correctly (with formatting).
Here's some links of other platforms also dealing with this issue:
So yeah, I believe since you've already found a way to correct the excel file in excel, you know how to correctly format it for import into filemaker.
Thanks a a lot for your reply.
The issue is that the Excel file is created programmatically from another program as the output of a CURSOR saved as an XL5. No real way to fine-tune how it works.
If I open the Excel file and make the column totally visible and save it, then it's fine.
Since I don't need the middle column, I'll modify the SQL on the server DB and remove it. Hopefully that will fix things.
Thanks again and thanks for the excellent links.
Can the other program provide the output in a more accessible format? If not then you might be stuck having to open the file in excel to "fix it" before importing. You might be able to write a batch script and a macro to quasi-automate it, but you'll still probably be stuck having some manual check.
Yeah, I'm stuck. No output options for a given export type, but....You got me thinking, I could just change the output to CSV or something that would probably work better. I'll try that instead.
Thanks again Mike!
I'd imagine that CSV would work fine for you, as it's a more "raw" format than XLSX.
I was using the more generic Excel (XLS) format, but I agree with your point about the raw format.
Hindsight always being 20-20, I realize now I should have done that export type to begin with.
This back and forth helped a lot.