6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2016 9:30 AM by disabled_morkus

Excel Import Fails if a field doesn't completely display

I noticed this issue back in 2011 with FieMaker 11 or 12 (don't recall which version).

This import issue seemed like a bug at the time too. The problem is that I have to basically pre-process each Excel file by opening it and double-clicking the "|" between fields so the text completely displays.

I'm not sure why FileMaker can't read the cell data regardless since we're just talking about a display issue. I wrote a separate program, as a test, that can read the Excel data as is.

And, in this case, the column that doesn't completely display after the export from another program isn't even one of the columns I'm importing. The two actual import columns I'm importing, on either side of the column that doesn't completely display, are fine and display completely. But, this middle column I'm not importing, but doesn't completely display, keeps the import from working (until I open the excel file and fix the "display issue").

Is this a known bug?

I didn't report this behavior five years ago, but it's definitely slowing me down having to pre-process each sheet do FMP will actually import the excel file.

Look forward to any suggestions? (Bug report, or whatever).

Thanks,

- m