11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 9:16 AM by BeatriceBeaubien

How do I enter Country & State settings in Apache for SSL?

LyndsayHowarth

Hi all,

I've been trying to make certificate requests but they don't have the country and state and organisation details being entered.

Which config file or setting feeds this?

_ Lyndsay

• 1. Re: How do I enter Country & State settings in Apache for SSL?
          BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Lyndsay,

I'm not sure at what point the uncertainty arises, but the only point where you enter in these details are in creating the certificate request through the command line for fmsadmin. If you've already done this, I apologise for the irrelevance of this reply.

Here is the syntax (amended from CICT's useful posting awhile ago, which I can't find atm). I've included examples of our submission to help.

Server name:

my server; the name of the FileMaker server (no wildcards)

Domain name:

your domain name. (This was the domain for the Hospital, in our case. In your case it will be something like xxxxx.com.)

Organisation:

The organisation name (Our permitted use of this was extremely lax; we could use one of three different ways to refer to the Hospital.)

Location (City or Locality):

Whatever the locality is called (ours was Toronto).

State, or Province in our case:

The county/district/region (ours was ON for Ontario).

The country (two alpha characters [not sure about this], ours was CA)

This is important:

As a precaution, use of the command line below was run with elevated permissions by right clicking and selecting 'Run as Administrator'

Create the certificate request:

In the command line for the details listed above enter:

fmsadmin CERTIFICATE CREATE "/CN=your server name.your domain name/O=Your organisation name/C=The country/ST=The State, Province, or Region/L=Location"

If you aren't confident about abbreviations, call the certification authority for clarification.

There are other wrinkles (like the OU tag option for organisational units, if this applies), and matching the name of the FileMaker server to the server name) but hopefully this will get you started.

Best wishes,

Beatrice

• 2. Re: How do I enter Country & State settings in Apache for SSL?
            RickWhitelaw

Biti,

PErhaps you can help with this. Domain name. I own a domain name but it has nothing to do with my office server. What is expected to be entered here?

thanks,

RIck.

• 3. Re: How do I enter Country & State settings in Apache for SSL?
              LyndsayHowarth

Thanks Beatrice,

I'm assuming this is for windows given the right-click tip...?

...so, if on a Mac I whacked a sudo in front of the command for the fmsadmin certificate create do you think I might actually get the prompts? I will try that...

_ Lyndsay

• 4. Re: How do I enter Country & State settings in Apache for SSL?
                BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Rick,

I was responding to Lyndsay's question about parsing the Country, State and Organisation parameters in the CERTIFICATE CREATE command. I haven't encountered your issue.

When I had questions about creating CSR's and installing third party certificates, I phoned Technical Support at FileMaker, who were very helpful and made sure it worked for me. In North America their number is 800-325-2747. Please consider giving them a call.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Best wishes,

Beatrice

On Feb 12, 2016, at 21:21, RickWhitelaw <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

reply from RickWhitelaw in Discussions - View the full discussion

Biti,

PErhaps you can help with this. Domain name. I own a domain name but it has nothing to do with my office server. What is expected to be entered here?

thanks,

RIck.

• 5. Re: How do I enter Country & State settings in Apache for SSL?
                  BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Lyndsay,

To be honest, I think the admin-level is more important when you are importing the certificate in, but whatever permission level you use to generate the CSR, it has to be able to write to the CStore folder.

You will know you were successful if the command line doesn't throw an error and you see the CSR appear in the CStore folder. You won't be prompted for anything, unless I am completely misunderstanding your question.

As I mentioned to Rick Whitelaw, FMI Tech Support will help if you run into issues generating the CSR and importing in the certificate. Perhaps David Head or someone else at FileMaker could share with you the phone number for Oz developers, if you need it.

All the best,

Beatrice

On Feb 12, 2016, at 23:38, Lyndsay Howarth <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

reply from Lyndsay Howarth in Discussions - View the full discussion

Thanks Beatrice,

I'm assuming this is for windows given the right-click tip...?

...so, if on a Mac I whacked a sudo in front of the command for the fmsadmin certificate create do you think I might actually get the prompts? I will try that...

_ Lyndsay

• 6. Re: How do I enter Country & State settings in Apache for SSL?
                    BeatriceBeaubien

Hello again Rick,

The FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) of the server is required for generation of the CSR, according to this Knowledge Base article  http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14169/kw/create%20certificate

Best wishes,

Biti

On Feb 12, 2016, at 21:21, RickWhitelaw <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

reply from RickWhitelaw in Discussions - View the full discussion

Biti,

thanks,

RIck.

• 7. Re: How do I enter Country & State settings in Apache for SSL?
                      LyndsayHowarth

I'm generating the .pem files no worries. I just don't get prompts for the info.

I thought it might be in a .config but couldn't find anything.

Sent from my iPad

Lyndsay Howarth

11th Hour Group Pty Ltd

• 9. Re: How do I enter Country & State settings in Apache for SSL?
                        LyndsayHowarth

I reread the knowledge base article on creating the certificate request and I found the critical link I skipped on first, second and third readings... LOL

Thanks Beatrice for the right-click comment... permission was certainly one of the issues.

Thanks also tcfitzgerald for posting that link as it is a good overview and the only one specific to FMS. If you follow up by going to the Data Manix site you can download their certificate helper which writes the fmsadmin certificate create line for you.

I will credit tcfitzgerald with the 'correct answer' as it leads to the most comprehensive answer.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/13/fms/en/index.html#page/fms/fmsh_cmdref.19.05.html#ww1019026

• 10. Re: How do I enter Country & State settings in Apache for SSL?
                          LyndsayHowarth

Notice that link I provided was for FMS 13 Help.

It had a whole section in it for "Command line reference" which has been omitted in the FMS 14 Help.

WHY?

• 11. Re: How do I enter Country & State settings in Apache for SSL?
                            BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Lyndsay,

I found the key to generating certificate requests and importing them successfully, as you alluded to, was reading the documentation a number of times. It is one of the most opaque processes I've run into recently (but very satisfying when it comes together).

Best wishes,

Beatrice

On Feb 15, 2016, at 0:04, Lyndsay Howarth <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

reply from Lyndsay Howarth in Discussions - View the full discussion

I reread the knowledge base article on creating the certificate request and I found the critical link I skipped on first, second and third readings... LOL

>