AnsweredAssumed Answered

Tutorial Required : Custom Invoice Solution

Question asked by lcot17 on Feb 14, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 by siplus

Hi -

First of all, I want to stress that I have refrained from resorting to forum assistance all weekend whilst I work through online tutorials and videos! After exhausting 2 Lynda.com resources, I am still stuck!

I want to learn FileMaker freelance so that I can create my own personal databases specific to me. One thing I do not want to do is use a starter solution! - nothing wrong with this, just that's not how I learn!

So my issue -

I want to create my own 'Invoices' solution

I do have a few reasons for wanting to create my own - the most important is that I have more bespoke requirements.

As I am still fairly new to database creation with FMP I am going to build a very basic version and expand my knowledge from there. Therefore, I am creating very simply a Customer, Product, Order database.

I have the following tables:

• Customers
  • Products
  • Orders
  • InvoiceLineItems

Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 21.44.45.png

Creating layouts - fine.

Creating a relational layout for an order page - Order ID, Customer Names, etc - fine.

My issue is using the portal tool to create the InvoiceLineItems records!

1. I create a portal showing related records from InvoiceLineItems. No sort, no filter and add in the fields very simply Product Name, Cost and RRP. I have then used the All Products table to create a list of product names to select on the portal. When I select a product, it will fill that field with the name but it won't fill the cost and RRP fields with the relevant information?

Can anyone help me solve this issue and actually create a fully functional orders database. What am I doing wrong?

FMP Version: 14 Advanced

Mac OSX: 10.11

Thank you.

Outcomes