6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 3:43 AM by Suresh

FileMaker feature variations between Mac vs Windows vs iOS

Suresh

Greetings everyone!!

I am plan to migrate my Windows System to MacBook Pro.

I just need to know what are feature variations between iOS FileMaker vs Mac FileMaker vs Windows FileMaker?

Which operating system FileMaker version has more features & why?

Expect some more favorable & easy understanding replies!

Thanks,

Suresh

• 1. Re: FileMaker feature variations between iOS vs Windows
          user19752

MacBook Pro use OSX, not iOS.

FMP on OSX has stand alone (?) window on desktop, not as MDI (windows in application window) on Windows.

• 2. Re: FileMaker feature variations between iOS vs Windows
            Suresh

user19752, thanks for the response.!!

actually i thought that OS X and iOS are same, but here i got a idea that that are different type of Apple Operating systems.

now got it, Thanks.

now can you please say that which OS FileMaker version has more features?

Macintosh FileMaker vs Windows FileMaker vs iOS FileMaker.? and why?

- Suresh

• 3. Re: FileMaker feature variations between iOS vs Windows
              beverly

There are a few Windows only script steps, there are a few Macintosh only script steps and there are a few iOS functions. Mostly the screen size is different. Sometimes the fonts render slightly differently, so you want to test on the various platforms. You can test your scripts for which platform will work in Script Workspace:

fm14_compatibility.jpg

beverly

• 4. Re: FileMaker feature variations between Mac vs Windows vs iOS
                macwombat

Hi Suresh

One of the really great things about FM is the fact that it is cross platform.  I've been using FM on both Mac and Windows for many years and there really are very few things that are different between the Mac and Windows versions.  This is important for developing a solution because it will give your users/customers greater flexibility without having to compromise on functionality for either platform.  There are some slight differences in things like the keystrokes to use (eg. Windows use Ctrl key, Mac use Command key).

The major difference I enjoy as a developer with the Mac is not really a FileMaker feature.  On the Mac I can have 2, 3 or more instances of FM running at the same time which is really handy.  One might have the live database, one might have a testing copy of the same database - or I can be logged into the same database with different user privilege sets for testing functionality for users while still being logged in with a [Full Access] privilege set for development.

HTH. Chris

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: FileMaker feature variations between Mac vs Windows vs iOS
                  Suresh

Thanks beverly!!

So those features will depend upon Scripting basis only?

- Suresh

• 6. Re: FileMaker feature variations between Mac vs Windows vs iOS
                    Suresh

Chris Cullen wrote:

One might have the live database, one might have a testing copy of the same database - or I can be logged into the same database with different user privilege sets for testing functionality for users while still being logged in with a [Full Access] privilege set for development.

well said! Thanks

Same way I'm developing my design layouts!

Preparing Layouts for Mac Users, Windows Users & IWP Users too!!

- Suresh