7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 9:53 AM by TSGal

Copy & Paste Bug (Spreadsheet to FileMaker)

arnoldkegebein

Product and version

FileMaker Pro 14.0.4

OS and version

MacOS 10.10.5

Description

FileMaker will drop a tab when you cCopy and paste multiple cells from a spreadsheet into a FileMaker text field, if a cell starts with some newlines before the text content.

How to replicate

Create an excel file with some cell contents. One cell should start with newlines before the text content (see cell C1 below):

ABCD
      alphabeta

gamma

delta

Select the cells and copy them to the clipboard.

Go into a FileMaker database, enter a text field, and paste the clipboard into the field.

The field content will look like this (→ = tab; ¶ = newline):

alpha→beta¶¶¶gamma→delta

For some reason, FileMaker drops the tab between the 2nd and 3rd cell.

Workaround

Paste the clipboard into a plain text editor, select everything and copy&paste it into FileMaker.

This bug makes it more complicated to work with virtual tables and a simple drag'n'drop / copy&paste approach.

• 1. Re: Copy & Paste Bug (Spreadsheet to FileMaker)
          TSGal

arnoldkegebein:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the issue using Excel 2011 and FileMaker Pro 14.0.4 under Mac OS X 10.11.3.  I have sent your post along with a sample file to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Copy & Paste Bug (Spreadsheet to FileMaker)
            StephenWonfor

Arnold

Out of curiosity what happens if your paste is a "paste without style"?  Or what happens if you paste then do a Command-Z?  Do the extra line feeds persist?

Stephen

• 3. Re: Copy & Paste Bug (Spreadsheet to FileMaker)
              TSGal

StephenWonfor:

If you Paste Text Only, the missing tab now appears, but the gamma entry including the returns is enclosed in quotes.  Pressing Command-Z simply removes the entire pasted entry.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Copy & Paste Bug (Spreadsheet to FileMaker)
                arnoldkegebein

StephenWonfor:

I am using OpenOffice (3.4.1, 4.0.0) and "paste without style" would work (without quotes around gamma). 1x CMD-Z has no effect, 2x CMD-Z removes the pasted entry.

Arnold

• 5. Re: Copy & Paste Bug (Spreadsheet to FileMaker)
                  StephenWonfor

Arnold

Since the semi-undo of the paste is not working I suspect that the ¶ in the source data is "respected".  What about setting an auto-enter calc in the destination fields to remove the ¶.  Substitute(fieldname;"¶";"")

Stephen

---

Forelsket: (Norwegian) The euphoria you experience when you are first falling in love.

• 6. Re: Copy & Paste Bug (Spreadsheet to FileMaker)
                    arnoldkegebein

StephenWonfor

The ¶s are not the problem. The problem is the missing tab. And because there might be other ¶s somewhere else in a cell, I cannot just replace any "¶" with "tab¶" or something similar.

Because plain text copy & paste work fine, I assume, "smart" replacements kicks in when FileMaker transforms the Excel data into plain text. Recognizing a tab at the end of a line (just before a ¶) is considered as unnecessary and is therefore dropped. This is similar to the problem when FIleMaker adds sometimes a space when you paste a word:

For example in the data viewer, edit an expression, insert a field name "Table::Field"; double-click on "Field"; press cmd-c; press cmd-v. Result is: "Table:: Field" (see the space in front of Field).

I guess, FileMaker applies some text rules (a space is required behind punctuation characters, …) when text is pasted. But FileMaker is not a text processing programm like Word or Pages. In a database (especially in programming the database) other rules apply. At least it should have an option to turn this feature off, like there is an option "Do not apply visual spellchecking". And before you ask, yes I tested it with the spellchecking option on and off.

Arnold

• 7. Re: Copy & Paste Bug (Spreadsheet to FileMaker)
                      TSGal

arnoldkegebein:

Our Testing team was able to reproduce the issue with "Paste" and "Paste Text Only".  The information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.