1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 9:59 AM by siplus

Have one record categorize as two?

SamRembert

I didn't really know how to title this to really describe it.  I have a database which I use to track my finances, much like Mint, or I'm sure QuickBooks or something.  But, I just like to build these things for myself and customize them exactly as I want them.  I've got it mostly working, but there's one little part I'm stuck on, and maybe I just need a quick push in the right direction.

So, all I do is import information from my bank, and put it into respective fields for Description, Amount, Category, and a few other things to help me track what's going on.

Where I run into issues is things paid for by credit card or cash.  So, I'll have a debit of say $1,000 on my bank account, but I need to break that down into the various charges.  Obviously, I can do this manually.  But hear me out...

Let's say I have one record which has a value of -$1,000.00 and a category of "Credit Card Payment".

I have another record which has a value of $100.00 and a category of "ATM Withdrawal".

I create a new record which has a value of -$400.00 and a category of "Computer Equipment".  What I'd like to have is an additional field in which I can choose "Credit Card Payment", and have a credit applied to the main Credit Card Payment category.  Or, if I pay with cash, I could choose "ATM Withdrawal" and apply that credit to ATM withdrawals.  I can easily do this by creating two records and just apply credits manually, but I'd love to do it with one automatically.  I think this would work out fine with a simple calculation until I needed to summarize data by Category, and I don't know how I would combine the fields with varying categories.

Is this making any sense?