2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2016 3:35 PM by tnormandin

Hiding Object when more than one month is showing.

tnormandin

Hello Fellow FileMaker Community,

I am creating a client database for my churches Food Panty. It is pretty basic showing clients, the dates they have been there and a report tracking how many clients per day show up. In my report (typically a monthly one), I have at the top the Month and Year for that report. I was trying to figure out how to hide that information when a report will be showing more than one month. So if they searched for clients from January through March, I don't want the date and month at the top to show "March 2016" when more than one month is showing.

Just a bit more insight on how the report looks/works. The food pantry is open three days a week, so there will be three summary fields per week, and average four weeks will be a total of (12) twelve lines on the report.

Thank you ahead of time for any help in this matter.

Troy

• 1. Re: Hiding Object when more than one month is showing.
          planteg

I was trying to figure out how to hide that information when a report will be showing more than one month.

Hi Troy,

how do you display the mont and year for the report ? Il suggest that you use a Merge variable (last option in the Insert menu in Layout mode). Make the merge variable field large enough at the top and then set that variable to:

• one month only "For March 2016"
          • for a range of months "For January through March 2016

for example. In this way you do not need to hide anything and the person reading the report knows exactly the period of time of the report.

• 2. Re: Hiding Object when more than one month is showing.
            tnormandin

I currently have calculation fields in the table. One to get the month of the selected date and one for the year.  I used those at the top of the report. It works fine obviously when it is filtered for just one month(which will be the norm). But as any good developer needs to do, plan for other scenarios. I will have to lookup how to create the merge variables to show/pull the information properly. But that sounds like it would be a good idea.  Thank you.