1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 11:31 AM by codecruncher

Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues

codecruncher

Product and version

FileMaker Pro 14.0.3 / GO FIAS / iOS SDK

Hardware

iPhone & iPad iOS 9

Description

Whenever an iOS SDK created FMGo app is exited by selecting it from the currently running apps after pressing the home button and swiping it upwards it does not actually quit but goes into hibernation. This cause a locked toolbar to re-appear on top of the keyboard when the app is 're-launched'. In addition a message will pop up sporadically that informs the user that the record changes cannot be saved because the app is modified by another user (see pic).

This happens even when the iOS SDK setting is used to 'Always Overwrite' the FMGo files whenever the application is launched ('swipe to quit' is not actually quitting the app).

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 11.39.09 AM.png

How to replicate

Swipe to quit and re-launch app

Workaround (if any)

None

• 1. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
          codecruncher

Another hibernation issue is that the keyboard will not disappear after entering text in a regular text field and pressing return. This occurred on an iPhone that was unattended to for an hour when the app was in the foreground but the iPhone went into sleep mode.

Additionally 'on entry' script steps of fields are not executed after hibernation.

One more issue is that the toolbar above the keyboard appears without the keyboard when a selection is being made in a field formatted as radio buttons. Even though the toolbar is specified as hidden and locked via a script step.

• 2. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
            codecruncher

Just to clarify further. A FIAS app can only be terminated by pressing the power button while the app is in the foreground. As soon as the 'slide to power off' message appears on the iDevice a click on the home button will return to the iOS desktop without the FIAS app running. Any other option to quit a FIAS app simply puts it to sleep and causes the app to wake up like a drunken sailor.

• 3. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
              monkeybreadsoftware

Strange. I wonder whether it is that same behavior in FileMaker Go.

• 4. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
                codecruncher

It seems that a lot of issue can be avoided by using the native iOS keyboard without the FileMaker toolbar on top whenever a FIAS app is created. I don't know if this has to do with the same keyboard issue but words that are auto-entered into a text field via the iOS word selection list are shown but not committed to the field. That means they are not actually copied INTO the field unless you follow up by pressing the space bar. Even though they appear in the field they will disappear and will be replaced with the prior word if you simply press return after making a selection from iOS keyboard's word list.

• 5. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
                  codecruncher

In FileMaker Go the files are actually removed via 'force quit' when you swipe them upward. This causes the 'rebuilding database/checking for inconsistencies' dialog to appear. Obviously a file can be damaged when 'force quit' is being used. But swipe upward to quit is not 'force quit' on iOS but rather the standard way of quitting an app.

Integrating a 'power button' to safely quit a FIAS app does not work because a FIAS app cannot be terminated via a script step. It will relaunch immediately.

If you have a FIAS app that saves all its data on a server it would greatly improve reliability if the standard iOS 'swipe upwards to quit' move is actually 'quitting' the FIAS solution rather than putting it into hibernation. The same holds true for an app that offers only persistent data.

• 6. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
                    TSGal

codecruncher:

Thank you for your posts.

The iOS App SDK is built on FileMaker Go 14.  FileMaker Go constantly writes information to the application so when you go into hibernation and return, you are back at the same place.  This also applies to the resulting iOS App SDK generated app.

Use Exit Application script step to close the database file and iOS App SDK generated app.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
                      codecruncher

Hi TSGal! There is an active discussion about this very issue on:

Thank you FileMaker for the iOS App SDK!!!!

The Exit Application script step is not available in FIAS/ iOS SDK created apps. Unlike FMGo files a FIAS app will simply relaunch itself after the exit application script step is executed.

Currently a FIAS app does not know when an iOS user quits the app with the standard swipe up move. The important bugs that need to be addresses are:

A) The hidden and locked Toolbar will come back after the standard wipe up to quit move. This is being reported my many users. It can be remedied by utilizing an 'On Entry' script trigger that locks it again if a user enters the field. However, this will not work if the field is selected while quitting the app with the swipe upward move.

B) The dialog as pictured above show up if the field was active while the user executed the 'swipe up' to quit move.

• 8. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
                        TSGal

codecruncher:

You are correct.  My apologies.  I just confirmed with Development and Testing that Exit Application is not an option.  They suggest using Close File on the layout so when the app is relaunched, the file is opened anew again and a OnFirstWindow script trigger, if exists, will be activated.

I have sent the information about the hidden and locked Toolbar to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

I only have a couple of iOS App SDK generated apps that connect to our servers internally, and I have often left my cursor in a field and then hibernated and/or swiped up.  When I return, either I'm disconnected or I can continue entering data.  Therefore, can you provide a little more information about your solution, the server being accessed, any timeout settings, etc.?  I'll try to replicate a similar setup here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
                          codecruncher

Thanks TSGal. I have a solution consisting of one file with one entry field. It has local persistent data and does not connect to any outside servers. The SDK created app will try to connect to server automatically when the app is terminated unexpectedly every time the cursor if active inside the entry field. It will not give the error message if the app is terminated unexpectedly while the entry field is not being edited. I can make it appear ever time I swipe up to quit while being in the entry field. Pressing 'cancel' in the dialog will make it re-appear after the next editing attempt of the entry field. Pressing 'revert' will fix whatever issue it is that causes the dialog to appear.

• 10. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
                            TSGal

codecruncher:

Does the error message also appear in FileMaker Go after you hibernate/swipe up and come back again?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
                              codecruncher

The dialog does not show up in FMGo 14 using the same solution when re-opening it after executing the swipe up move to quit. It does happen with the FIAS app every time.

• 12. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
                                TSGal

codecruncher:

Thank you for the additional information.  I have forwarded this information back to Testing and Development for review.

Regarding the other issue with the Toolbar returning, I am unable to replicate with FileMaker Go.  Each time I go to another application and then return to FileMaker Go, or if I swipe up FileMaker Go and launch a minute later, the file is open with the Toolbar still hidden.  Testing has also asked for more information.  Specifically, when you hide and lock the toolbars, do you have "Include Edit Record Toolbar" checked or unchecked?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
                                  TSGal

codecruncher:

Looking through the Community, I found a link that may apply.  Could this be the same issue?

Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Hibernation state of FMGo FIAS (iOS SDK) causes a number of issues
                                    codecruncher

The first three post are a perfect description of the issue. If there is a way to suppress the dialog on an 'On Exit' script step and automatically revert the changes we would have a solution. However, in my experience the FIAS solution is somewhat frozen as soon as the user returns to FIAS after a swipe up. If he uses a gesture one of my scripts will rebuilt the layout with the correct portal and the user is free to continue. If, however, he return while the cursor is in the field the commit script step causes FIAS to show the dialog.

1 2 3 Previous Next