11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2016 8:49 AM by beverly

Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys

JeffHart

I am relatively new to FM. I have been creating a database for some of my photography and wanted to create an easy way to identify natural hierarchical groupings found in nature. I am somewhat comfortable with in-table manipulations such as find features, field creation, searches and learning about creating relationship between tables. I am asking about a reality check with this type of approach with FM 14. The graphics at the bottom show a general layout of the different tables and their relationships to one another. There is far too much data (especially fields) in some groupings to include all of the FIND features in one table or even one view within a table. So here is my question, assuming that this structure works for FM: how do I navigate, through the FIND process, through this proposed but natural hierarchy. I want to be able to sequentially execute FIND commands, ideally going from one table to another as the user “keys out” the different groups of organisms.  I hope that I have made myself clear, and thanks for your help. INature2.jpg

• 1. Re: Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys
          beverly

I would not put these into different TABLES, just different records of the same table with self-join to itself with a "parent_id" field pointing to the record that is the parent. That's storage, that's ease of search. Display in a tree? I believe there may be threads in this forum (or others) discussing display

(genealogy, pedigree, organizational charting), such as:

https://community.filemaker.com/thread/148346?start=0&tstart=0

beverly

• 2. Re: Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys
            siplus

not very clear I'm afraid - we don't know how you code the single photo.

However, you could use your diagram as a fixed picture with buttons over the boxes, doing searches.

If you look at your diagram, you can see horizontal levels that can be a key.

Level 1 is INature, 1.

Level 2 is Plants, 1 or Animals, 2.

Level 3 is Mosses, 1, or Tracheo...thing, 2.

and so on.

This allows building a key like 12221 for conifers, when you press that button.

Searching for it in your picture keys should give you the results, provided you classified them correctly.

• 3. Re: Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys
              JeffHart

Thanks Beverly and Siplus. Beverly, you suggested placing all of the information into one table, with many records.  The reason that I spread the data out into many tables is because I was under the impression that similar kinds of data should be placed within the same table. So in my situation, should I make a massive table with very different kinds of info, such as flowering plant morphology and invertebrate characteristics in the same table.  For my Angiosperm table, I have about one hundred families and scores of morphological character states. It would seem impractical to include information about the rest of the plant and animal kingdom. The kinds of information also changes within a lineages hierarchy: characters at the family level aren't the same as those at the genera or species levels.   Anyway, you have given me something to think about.  Hopefully some more folk will weight in on how i should organize the data.  Thanks!

Siplus, I like your idea about a fixed picture, but I also want a user to be able to follow nature's natural structure in attempting to identify a specific organism. So are you also suggesting not to have the data arranged in structured tables?  Thanks.

• 4. Re: Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys
                beverly

Yes one table!

Create a record which has an auto-enter id (unique) let's call it TreeID_pk

The Classification field is "Kingdom"

The Scientific name is "Plantae"

The Common name is "Plants"

... any other significant fields as needed ...

TreeID_fk is "0" (because this is the top level! but normally every other record has a parent relating to TreeID_pk of the parent)

This Parent has the child(ren):

Auto-enter TreeID_pk

Classification = "Subkingdom"

Scientific name = ...

Common name = ...

TreeID_fk (which is the one assigned to "kingdom", above)

... etc. on down the line for each division for a particular plant.

Because there is a relationship between ANY record and its parent, it really also has a relationship to its children. This can be used to navigate as needed.

You aren't duplicating any of the divisions, you just relate however needed. There can be one or many children for each record.

Again, the trick is getting a "chart". I used a method to print list view and placed calculated spacing so that you could see a hierarchical list:

Kingdom

Subkingdom

Superdivision

Division

Class

That's not a "chart" but it is easy to see.

BTW, I did not do this with plants or animals, but other sets of data that had a hierarchical structure. I have done this!

Does that make sense to you? This IS similar data and it would not make sense to break down into more than one table. If you have details (characteristics) that make sense to place in other tables, sure (maybe).

Getting to the data that has to be "tunneled back" for reports probably is not what you want. But think more on what I'm saying.

beverly

• 5. Re: Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys
                  siplus

I'd use only 2 tables, plants and animals, in order to avoid too many useless fields.

• 6. Re: Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys
                    mbraendle

Two tables:

• 7. Re: Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys
                      beverly

Yes! The second as EAV (entity-attribute-value)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity–attribute–value_model

Or is this different than key-value, Martin?

-- sent from myPhone --

Beverly Voth

--

• 8. Re: Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys
                        mbraendle

Bev, the second is only the AV part (= key-value) of EAV.

What the entities E are, needs to be defined:

• the items in the hierarchy table - sure so
                        • or the pictures that are assigned to the items in the hierarchy table - also these could have AVs (a varying number of properties and their values)
                        • or both

Classification Item (E) <---> Properties (AV)

<---> Pictures (E) <---> Picture Properties (AV)

• 9. Re: Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys
                          JeffHart

Thanks Siplus. You mention just two tables to avoid too many empty fields.  But the same situation occurs at many other levels of the taxonomic hierarchy.  The question, to me, is still whether to structure the data around tables, records, or probably both.

• 10. Re: Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys
                            JeffHart

Thanks Beverly. It still seems to be that using tables (in addition to records within a larger grouping) is preferable as there would be too many empty fields when using a super table. Even within Angiosperms, I have more than 100 families and scores of fields (for characters) each with numerous character states (value list checks).  Perhaps using your records only approach one could use different layouts for different groups of organisms.  I am new at this so I will try to keep an open mind...don't what to go down the wrong pathway at this point of the data acquisition.  Jeff

• 11. Re: Creating fM structure for plant and animal classification and keys
                              beverly

This is why Herr  Braendle says to use a second table for the "characteristics". You are relating back however you need.

And I concur.

Did you follow the links he provided? It's web pages for display, but based on what we are both saying for the storage of the data of this type.

beverly