1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 11:27 AM by TSGal

Table name "Notes" makes it very difficult to type "not" in Script Workspace

realgrouchy

Another nuisance I've been meaning to report:

I have a table name, "Notes" in my database. When editing a script, every time I try to type a "not" command, it suggests "Notes::".

This makes it really frustrating when I want to type my formulae with a line break after the "not" (because hitting return will autocomplete "Notes::"), such as:

IsEmpty ( Field1 ) and not

IsEmpty ( Field2 ) or

not

( 2+2 = 4 )

I presume that the same thing will happen with table names that resemble other operators, too ("and", "or", etc.).

I'm not sure how exactly FM's behaviour would change to fix this definitively, but some things that may help could be:

- Trigger a warning when creating a table (or field) whose name starts with the same letters as an operator, as is the case when creating a field that has a symbolic operator;

- When a user has typed the full word of an operator such as "and" or "or" or "not", don't autocomplete any field/table names when the user hits return (but do autocomplete if they typed "No" or "Note" in the example of a table name "Notes")

(And don't get me started on how FM 14 autocomplete handles fields with spaces in them!)

- RG>

• 1. Re: Table name "Notes" makes it very difficult to type "not" in Script Workspace
          TSGal

realgrouchy:

Thank you for your post.

When editing a script, the auto-complete will select a value when you press return.  If you press a space after "not", then "Notes::" will not be available.  Likewise, if you press Escape, the auto-complete value will disappear.  That is, you can type "not", press escape (to dismiss the auto-complete value of Notes::), and press return.

Please post your suggestion for creating a table/field with the same letters as an operator, and to not auto-complete for boolean operators, to our Product Ideas board at:    Product Ideas

The Product Ideas board is monitored by Product Management and Development.  All suggestions are discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.