8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 6:06 AM by mbb04915

How can I build searchable photo storage on fairly small scale?

mbb04915

Beginner here, having a heck of a good time organizing and compiling info on plant species and cultivars used in horticulture. Excel really, really doesn’t do it!!!    Bumbling along fairly well.

Question: the photos storage structure  For now, I plan to use  containers for simplicity as there aren’t all that many. Each photo can have show more than one species, tho’ probably never more than 10 .

How do I structure the photo storage?  1) I could have a table for each photo tho’ that seems excessive. 2) Or I could have one Photos table with  a container field and ten species’ fields (and other necessary fields of course).    I would need to be able to search the photos using species names either manually, or ideally using a script.  I don’t want to build something that will foul up searchability.

If someone could get me pointed in the right direction I would ever so grateful.

• 1. Re: How can I build searchable photo storage on fairly small scale?
          CarstenLevin

There are more that one answer to your question, more than one good way to do it, and some warnings. I will try to give you some advice here and an example.

model1.png

I have added an example file you can have a look at or use as a starting point. Try adding a specie, and then ad photos to this.

My first thought is that you will also need to have an other table with the groups of species, using Carl von Linné's model or whatever.

But as a starting point, have a look at this.

I will add some more notes about your questions.

• 2. Re: How can I build searchable photo storage on fairly small scale?
            CarstenLevin

Containers: If you are using your database on your local computer and not moving it around you could consider changing the storage to "External Storage" - even more so if you are going to use a server. But for now I suggest that you keep the photos as internal storage ... the way it is done in the example.

• 3. Re: How can I build searchable photo storage on fairly small scale?
              CarstenLevin

Maybe you need a more complex relational model:

If you can have more species on one photo and more photos than one with a specie you will maybe need a many to many relation with a joint table.

But for now just have a look at how Filemaker work with relations, photos, layouts.

• 4. Re: How can I build searchable photo storage on fairly small scale?
                emory_brown

I will weigh in briefly to just say that it is best practice while creating a relational data model to stick to each entity containing one and only one table. So in your case, you would only have one species table and one photo table. Then it would be a matter of having a one-to-many relationship from species to photo.

- Emory Brown

- www.dbservices.com

• 5. Re: How can I build searchable photo storage on fairly small scale?
                  mbb04915

Am am studying your example with pleasure.  For now, will not think about photos with more than one species in them...

• 6. Re: How can I build searchable photo storage on fairly small scale?
                    emory_brown

If you have species with more than one photo in them, then what you need is a "join table". This would be a record for every individual species photo, and contain simply the species ID and the photo ID to link the two. Then a species could have multiple of these join records, and you would still only have to store the photo one time in the database.

You can read up on many-to-many relationships and the details of join tables in the FileMaker knowledge base if you look up "join table".

-Emory Brown

-www.dbservices.com

• 7. Re: How can I build searchable photo storage on fairly small scale?
                      CarstenLevin

And here one possible model for photos with more than one specie.

Open the database and now you can add more species to one photo. Browse through those I added before deleting them and deleting the species records.

Try entering your own correct species and then start putting photos in.

I have also, just for the fun of it, shown you some of the many things FileMaker can do with a photo (get location, name, date etc).

For that purpose I have added some photos that are taken with a camera including this info.

Have a look here: http://www.filemaker.com/help/13/fmp/en/html/func_ref1.31.15.html

I have not tried to do this tiny example with any set of conventions or with a lot of afterthought. This can come later.

Also the UI is definitely rough and will have to be changed, especially the model for adding species to a photo (here I just add in the portal), but it shows the idea.

• 8. Re: How can I build searchable photo storage on fairly small scale?
                        mbb04915

Your responses are marvelous!  Never did I imagine being given such  gifts.  My Species table already exists and has all sorts of gritty details like pH, moisture and light preferences, season of bloom etc etc, tho' the UI is far from very ugly indeed.  Being able to collect and retrieve iconic photos has been the trouble spot.  It's all very well to admire a single branch of apple blossoms (which is what the nursery catalogues show) and think you know a certain variety of ornamental crabapple, but it sure doesn't tell you much about what it looks like when it's 30 years old and it's winter time. 

Cannot thank you enough.  Got some serious digging in to do.   If only my other stuff would stay out of the way.  Find myself working on this  late at night, my husband calling plaintively, "Are you coming to bed yet?"   All too easy to night-owl away on a computer .......

-Mary Bigelow

Belfast Maine