6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 12:21 PM by sreese

error viewing fmpro created password protected PDFs

critter

I have a script which saves a record as a password protected PDF (on Mac) and emails it to recipients. Recipients complain they get an error once they enter the password and open the pdf in either Adobe Reader or Acrobat Pro (regardless if Mac or PC). The error says "An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display this page correctly. Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem."

When I send the same filemaker generated pdf without password protection there is no error.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? I see the error whether I'm using old or recent OS to view the PDF.

• 1. Re: error viewing fmpro created password protected PDFs
          TSPigeon

critter:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker does use the Operating System's default PDF reader to save the file. If you could provide a little more information:

-Are you using Preview on Mac or Adobe (something else)?

-Could you run the script using a different PDF reader? (instead of Preview, run adobe -or vice versa)

-Do you get the same results when using a different PDF reader?

I look forward to your response!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: error viewing fmpro created password protected PDFs
            sreese

We have a similar problem with creating PDFs on windows in FileMaker 14. For whatever reason it doesn't like our layouts from 13 to 14 (as it works fine in 13) and when you append to an existing PDF we get an error similar to this, Our fix has been to recreate the layouts.

There is also a problem with generating the DDRs out of 14 where print scripts cause a ton of extra zeros to export, but this doesn't really have anything to do with the original post.

Anyhow, have you recently gone from 13 to 14?

• 3. Re: error viewing fmpro created password protected PDFs
              critter

YES.  After I submitting I continued testing. I'm using FMS14 and am in the process of updating all my Mac clients from fmpro 13 to 14. I've ascertained the Mac generating the "bad" pdfs was ver 14.

The funny thing is the same fmpro 14 Mac also generates pdfs that are fine - some even using the same layout??

I've reproduced this problem on another Mac using fmpro14 and can get a "good" PDF running the same script on an fmpro 13 Mac client. I've also reproduced this on other 13 machines.

So my original post heading is misleading - its not about the applying of password protection at all

• 4. Re: error viewing fmpro created password protected PDFs
                sreese

Its one of the main reasons we haven't migrated to 14 yet, besides the crashing problems.

• 5. Re: error viewing fmpro created password protected PDFs
                  TSPigeon

critter:

So it seems you are having the issue sreese mentions, of PDFs turning out "bad" with a file moving from FileMaker Pro 13 to FileMaker Pro 14. I was unable to reproduce by following these steps:

1. Created file with FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced)

2. Added sample fields and text

3. closed file and reopened with FileMaker Pro 14 (Advanced)

4. Saved Records as PDF...

My PDF opens without an issue. I am going to send a message to your inbox with instructions to send me a sample file and steps to reproduce, if you would like.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: error viewing fmpro created password protected PDFs
                    sreese

Critter,

Does your PDF merge multiple layouts into 1? This is where we've seen the issue the most. It also doesn't see to completely generate the data when you look at the pdf.