Feirefiz

Anomalies Between Files When Searching for Forward Slashes in Text Fields

Discussion created by Feirefiz on Feb 22, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 by Feirefiz

In one and only one file, in any text field I cannot search for a slash / surrounded by digits just by entering a slash in the field in Find mode. Only slashes surrounded by text characters come up in the found set. This applies to the entire file: any layout, table, source of field contents, etc. In any other file I can enter / in a text field and all results, including 7/7/1956 are included in the found set. In the "affected" file, however, entering */* will include examples like 7/7/1956. Comparing files, I can find no differences on the field level, nor on the file level. I have tested this file in another version of FMP (13) with the same results. Performing a recover brings up no anomalies. I am fairly certain this file was originally created in FMP 12, not in an earlier version of FMP.

According to Word separators in FileMaker Pro | FileMaker: "In FileMaker Pro 7 and later the hyphen, colon, and forward slash are treated as word separators unless both characters adjacent to the separator are numerals."

This would suggest that I must search for */* to find the result 7/7/1956 in a text field. Yet every other file I have examined so far returns results surrounded by numbers when searching solely for / .

The comments here don't seem to apply.

FMP Advanced 12.0v4, Mac OS 10.8.5

Outcomes