11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 1:31 PM by Penny

FileMaker GO - disabling record slider bar or scrolling between records

Penny

HI all

I am designing a database to use on iPads with FM GO which is to be used to collect Data from adolescents in a University study. The adolescents will be completing a series of questions in the database before handing the iPad back to the data collector to then pass to another adolescent.

As an ethics requirement, we cannot allow the adolescents to be able to look at others' data. So I need to be able to somehow disable the "record slider" bar at the bottom of the screens and not allow an adolescent to "swipe" on the iPad to scroll between records. Alternatively to not allow an adolescent to type/view any other record using a set of privileges for their login. I can't give every adolescent their own login though, so the privileges would be attached to a login for "Adolescent" but allow them to just view/type in one record only.

Can anyone help? I am fairly new to changing privilege sets in FM and in using FM generally so please use basic instructions to help me

Thanks

Penny

• 1. Re: FileMaker GO - disabling record slider bar or scrolling between records
          bigtom

There is a script step to hide the lower toolbar.  Show/Hide Toolbars

However this is not the whole answer actually. Users can still swipe back and forth to other records. This can be managed: Gesture support for record navigation in FileMaker Go

The better answer is a layout with global fields that are saved to records in a separate protected table that cannot be seen by the data entry users.

• 2. Re: FileMaker GO - disabling record slider bar or scrolling between records
            bigtom

This basically requires a Globals table that has global fields that match all the fields in your main record table. Generally there is a Save button or some other way to commit the record. This button runs a script that will save all the data to variables and navigate to the proper layout and save all the global field data into an actual record that is saved. Somewhere along the way you will need to run though and set all the global fields back to "" (empty) and then return to the data entry layout where the fields will all be empty again and ready for the next user to input. Very good way to secure data. The global table might not even need any actual records depending on how it is all setup.

• 3. Re: FileMaker GO - disabling record slider bar or scrolling between records
              skywillmott

Hi Penny,

The 'Hide Toolbars (Lock; Including Edit Record Toolbar) will help with this, as well as using a Custom Menu Set with pretty much everything disabled will disable the two-finger swipe navigation, as well as grey out the buttons on the toolbar that enable record navigation/creation/deletion in the event that the toolbar does re-appear.

hope this helps,

Sky

• 4. Re: FileMaker GO - disabling record slider bar or scrolling between records
                Penny

Thanks Sky

I don't have FM Pro Advanced (but am now getting it!) so can't do the Custom Menu. I found the "Hide Toolbars" script doesn't transfer across to FM Go when I open the file on the ipad. Not sure why this is? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Penny

• 5. Re: FileMaker GO - disabling record slider bar or scrolling between records
                  Penny

Thanks BigTom

As in my reply to Sky, the Hide Toolbar script step doesn't seem to transfer across to the ipad. I have used the Gear icon option to Hide Toolbar and it hides it but then it reappears when I open a new record or different layout but is still greyed out on the Gear menu?? Strange!!

Similarly the gesture disabling on the ipad only disables the gesture swipe between apps but doesn't do so within the app.

Perhaps Global Fields is the way to go - will have to investigate this a little more as I haven't used them yet.

Thanks for you help!

Penny

• 6. Re: FileMaker GO - disabling record slider bar or scrolling between records
                    rgordon

You need to use the Show/Hide toolbars script step and make sure to select the Lock option.  If the lock option is not selected, users can still swipe between records.  Also make sure you don't have any scripts that show the toolbars.

• 8. Re: FileMaker GO - disabling record slider bar or scrolling between records
                      Penny

Thanks rgordon

This seems to have worked. I still like the global fields idea but this will fix our problem for now.

I think perhaps not having the "lock" option checked meant when I moved to another record etc, it unlocked it and the scroll bar appeared again and swiping between records was also enabled.

Thanks for your help!

Penny

• 9. Re: FileMaker GO - disabling record slider bar or scrolling between records
                        Penny

Yes was odd! But see my answer to rgordon -seems to all be ok now.

Thanks for your help bigtom!

Penny

• 10. Re: FileMaker GO - disabling record slider bar or scrolling between records
                          bigtom

Penny wrote:

Yes was odd! But see my answer to rgordon -seems to all be ok now.

Thanks for your help bigtom!

Penny

Yes. Sorry for not mentioning the lock setting. I assumed you would use the lock feature after reviewing the docs.

The Global UI table idea is fairly simple to implement. This also lets you control the quality of data easier. You can make sure all fields or required fields are entered. Just duplicate your current data table and change the fields to global storage. Then duplicate your layout (not needed but a good step to take in the process) and set the new layout based on the global table and change all the field references to the global fields in the inspector. I would then create a simple layout with your data fields.

The script is easy enough as well. you can pass the fields or variables through directly as parameters, or you can simply use global variables while in the script. I prefer using global variables as it is just easier. You can also pass the data along and use PSOS if you are connected to a Server and have a slow connection so it improves usability in the field. Keeping the UI Global file locally on the iPad and the data file on the server. Just depends on your situation.

example for one field with bad syntax and such but you will get the idea

On button:

----

Freeze window

If [ isEmpty(Global:Global1)]

CustomDialog[ "Global1 needs to be entered."]

Else

SetVariable[$$Global1; Global::Global1]

EndIf

GoToLayout [Data]

New RecordRequest

SetField[Data::Data1; $$Global1]

Commit RecordRequest

SetVariable[ $$Global1; ""]

GoToLayout[Thank you for entering data]

RefreshWindow

Pause[3 seconds]

GoToLayout[Original]

----

Depending on your naming convention for fields you can set this to run in a loop for a set number of fields. Or use other ways to avoid writing a long script with an If Else for each field and do more dynamically. Using custom menus will add to the overall security. You can also use the built in Guided Access feature of iOS to render some areas useless as well as disable the home button so the solution cannot be exited without a passcode. FileMaker Pro Advanced also has Kiosk mode available. I have done a few solutions for data collections from the public on iPads. Some people will tend to find ways to mess with your iPad while they have it in hand. Popular one is trying to browse your photos and videos.

• 11. Re: FileMaker GO - disabling record slider bar or scrolling between records
                            Penny

Thanks BigTom!

This is so helpful. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Will give it a go.

Penny