AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMServer 12 and JRE help needed

Question asked by oharabm on Feb 23, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 by oharabm

I am having to do a Filemaker Server 12 installation on Windows 7. (I know, not ideal but within the specifications ,,, We're a non-profit and we always try to do everything in the least expensive way possible, at least until we've clearly demonstrated that it just won't work.)

I've succeed in getting the Server installed to the point where it serves files to a Filemaker client running on the same machine. I got this far without being able to get the Filemaker Server Admin Console, which needs Java, to run. But there's only so much you can set up without being able to manage the server using the console.

There is lots of documentation about what version of the JRE you need to have installed to work with various versions of Filemaker Server and I have installed the recommended JRE version, JRE 1.7.0_75 and it is the only version of the JRE installed on the machine. I continue to get a message when I try to start the console that it needs a supported version of Java and clicking on the link takes me to the java installer site which would install the most recent version which does not work. I've tried adding the address of the host machine in a number fo formats (192.168.etc. and localhost) to the Java - Security - Exception Site List to no avail

I'm not a professional Filemaker developer just a typical 'guy who's made Filemaker and eventually Filemaker Server work for his little non-profit organization' for well more than a decade.

I get the feeling that this problem has plagued a number of people and wonder if I'm wasting my time trying to get this to work.

So my question is ... has anyone out there encountered this issue and have advice on how to get the console to work ?

Brian O'Hara

Delisle Youth Services

Toronto, ON, Canada

brian_cars@delisleyouth.org

Outcomes