1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 4:40 PM by mardikennedy

Microsoft Azure server set up - best practices

duncanbaker

Hey all

I've seen the threads about the change to commercial hosting, and while my question is not directly related to that, the answers may help others who are looking to the future and how this change may affect them.

I'm looking to set up FMS on Azure and wondering about other's experiences and any gotchas they came across. I've played around with AWS before and I think the thoughts will also apply to an AWS server too. Some thoughts in no particular order:

Fast processor

Multiple core processor

Significant RAM

Fast disk - perhaps SSD

All the above are fairly standard with any set up, cloud or local.

With expected heavy WebDirect usage, deploying across two servers is recommended - any considerations here? What's best practice when dealing with multiple VMs? Get them on the same hardware?

With VMs, it's pretty easy to delete the instance of the server - and with it, everything... So, as with any data, backups are key. Backing up to separate drive space would be the way to go here - i.e. not on the Windows Server drive. (Amazon call it S3 or Glacier)

Is there also an argument for storing a FM data file on such 'external' storage and pointing to it so that if a new instance needs to be spun up you can just point back to the same location where the file resides? Is this even possible? Can 'external data storage' in Azure show up as a mapped drive in Server 2012 so that within FMS admin you could point to it using additional data locations? This perhaps introduces network traffic which may be a performance hit?

I'm sure there's more considerations, but throwing this out there for any comments and thoughts.

Thanks!