1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 7:55 AM by AllegroDataSolutions

File Refuses to Import

AllegroDataSolutions

A client sent me a file to import into a solution that I am redesigning for her. It's an Excel spreadsheet, with field names in the first row. All the fields match the field names in the database exactly. The import dialog shows 28 records as having been imported (which equals the number of rows in the spreadsheet minus the row containing the field names) and zero errors. But, when I close the dialog, the found set is zero records. If I search for any of the imported records, they aren't there.

If I open the Excel file in FileMaker, it creates a new fmp12 file with all the records in the spreadsheet without any problem. But, if I try to import the fmp12 file into the client's solution, none of the records import. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

I am using FileMakerPro Advanced 14 (with update 5 installed) on Windows 7 (64-bit).

The principal method of data entry for this solution will be importing reports that their suppliers send them in Excel format, so it is critical that it works.

• 1. Re: File Refuses to Import
          AllegroDataSolutions

Okay, I think I identified the problem. The client has one of the other fields in this table set to require a value and that the value be unique (which will be unnecessary in the rebuilt solution because it is being replaced by an auto-generated serial number, which will be used at the primary key if I have to link to the table. It would have been nice for the Import to report this, however. And it was not helpful for it to report that the import was successful when not a single record was added.