10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 5:10 AM by sureshmaas

Backup failed due to lock conflict with Admin()

Shoreline

Hi,

I have been having problems with backups, getting the following errors.

Working on Windows Filemaker Server 14

Backup aborted by user or due to error; some incomplete files may be left in destination. (8003)

Could not pause database "SMILE_HK" because of lock conflict(s) with 2 database user(s): Admin (); Admin ()

Backup aborted by user or due to error; some incomplete files may be left in destination. (8003)

Schedule "Daily Evening" aborted; unexpected error. (8003)

When i go in to Activity and look at the Clients, it shows users logged in multiple times.

All of my databases get really slow and start to hang. I then have to close all databases and stop the FM services for it to come right.

But this is happening every second day now.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

TIA!

• 1. Re: Backup failed due to lock conflict with Admin()
          wimdecorte

Do you do live development on the files on that server?

Is "verification" turned on for that backup schedule?

• 2. Re: Backup failed due to lock conflict with Admin()
            Shoreline

Yes i do live development on these files.

No verification is not turned on, do i need to turn it on?

• 3. Re: Backup failed due to lock conflict with Admin()
              wimdecorte

No, no need to turn verification on, if you have at least one backup schedule (daily/weekly/...) that has it on.

But you may want to rethink developing on the live system, unless you have extensive error trapping and handling to cater for the various schema locks.  How many users on the system?

• 4. Re: Backup failed due to lock conflict with Admin()
                sreese

wimdecorte - I've been trying to figure out a good way to not develop on our live solution, but I haven't really figured that out. Would it be possible for me to get some advice from you on this matter?

• 5. Re: Backup failed due to lock conflict with Admin()
                  wimdecorte

There is no magic really, and it's basically extra work.

Two main options:

1) do live development but write your code so that you carefully trap for all possible errors (see the 300 series in FileMaker Pro error codes) and handle them.

Especially around all the crucial scripts steps: creating new records, changing context.  These can easily fail if you are doing live development and can leave the user on the wrong context (record was not created so they end up on a random record, layout nav failed and they end up on the very first layout in the layout order,...)

2) don't do live development which means:

a) you'll need a dev server

b) when you are ready do deploy your changes you have two ways of doing that:

- redo your changes in the live copy, after hours with nobody in the system, or

- make your development copy the live copy and import all the data from production.  There are great products out there that can help you with that (RefreshFM | Goya Pty Ltd).

• 6. Re: Backup failed due to lock conflict with Admin()
                    sreese

Thanks Wim,

I do a lot of the script developments by duplicating the scripts and make my testing on non-live scripting.

I greatly appreciate the tool, but how well does it work with 10+ million records?

• 7. Re: Backup failed due to lock conflict with Admin()
                      wimdecorte

Scripts are only a tiny element of live development, as soon as you lock the "define database" by creating or changing a field definition, any "new record" script step will fail.

If you change a layout and commit it, any user who at that same moment tries to go to that layout will end up somewhere else.  Obviously that risk goes up with the number of concurrent users.

A tool like the one I mentioned does not make the import faster, it makes it easier and less error-prone.

The choice between redoing your changes or importing the data is basically: whichever takes the least amount of time.

• 8. Re: Backup failed due to lock conflict with Admin()
                        sreese

I know that, but I was just saying about the scripts because of your error capture statement.

As for layouts I duplicate, make and test the changes and then copy over the existing. In the newer files I have that navigation module I created and I just change the layout it points to.

• 9. Re: Backup failed due to lock conflict with Admin()
                          sureshmaas

Hi,

I have faced the same issue in my end. The cause of the issue is user is access the records in the mean time developer open the Manage -> Database and change the fields(i.e Change calculation or something like that) the click ok. The Message "Rebuilding changes" is displaying in this time developer Force quit the FM. The issue is coming.

Solution :

1. Make sure no one accessing the Hosted DB.

2. Change the Fields and wait for completing don't force quit the FM when after made the changes in Manage - > Database.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Backup failed due to lock conflict with Admin()
                            sureshmaas

Hi,

I have faced the same issue in my end. The cause of the issue is user is access the records in the mean time developer open the Manage -> Database and change the fields(i.e Change calculation or something like that) the click ok. The Message "Rebuilding changes" is displaying in this time developer Force quit the FM. The issue is coming.

Solution :

1. Make sure no one accessing the Hosted DB.

2. Change the Fields and wait for completing don't force quit the FM when after made the changes in Manage - > Database.

Thanks