6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 9:30 AM by ayescas

Show FTP in a web viewer or container field ?

ayescas

Hello Folks,

Is it possible to download files from a ftp server within FileMaker?  In other words, I would like to show users the daily FileMaker back-up files. 

Since our system is on the WAN, exporting thousands of records is too slow. I would like for them to download the most recent back-up file via ftp.  What's the best way to handle this??? 

I don't want the user to leave FileMaker and open an FTP app.  If they can use something like open url or show the FTP in a web-container, that would work.  Thank you for any feedback !!!

Alex

• 1. Re: Show FTP in a web viewer or container field ?
          macwombat

I'm sure you've got a business reason for wanting to do what you suggest, but it sounds unwise to me for the following reasons.

1.  Backups are there for restoring when there is catastrophic or significant data loss for one reason or another.  You don't want to be playing with those files.  Maybe create a copy of the backup files for download via FTP.

2.  What are users going to do with the backup files?  Are they going to open them locally in FMP?  Will it get confusing for users because they won't be sure if they are working in the live database or in a local backup version.  What if they enter new data in the local backup version thinking that they are working in the live database?

3.  If they need records exported into some sort of file - why not schedule that as a Server Side script every night and place those files somewhere for your users to download.  That way you are performing the export server side instead of over the WAN and the result for your users is a file that is not your database so they don't get them confused.  You could place the resulting files in a container field for your users to download.

Just my thoughts for what its worth.  Chris

• 2. Re: Show FTP in a web viewer or container field ?
            ayescas

Alright Chris...thank you very much.  I'm with you 100 percent,  I went on the deep-end with this one....the issue is just exporting records.

Why take the risk of missing-up the back-ups...Big Thank You for that one.  Going to look at PSOS and have the export saved somewhere I can download it.

Once PSOS exports the data in excel, what is the best method to retrieve it within FM.

• 3. Re: Show FTP in a web viewer or container field ?
              monkeybreadsoftware

With MBS Plugin you can do FTP/SFTP/FTPS in FileMaker Pro/Server/Runtime.

e.g. load a file, unpack it (with other plugin functions) and process files.

The plugin can get a directory listing, too.

• 4. Re: Show FTP in a web viewer or container field ?
                macwombat

Hi Alex

In your script you can set a $filepath variable which saves the records to a particular path and filename and then you can insert that file into a container field.

Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 11.36.14 PM.png

HTH.  Chris

• 5. Re: Show FTP in a web viewer or container field ?
                  ayescas

Thanks Christian...I was looking at FTP plug-ins for another project and was not too happy with the result.  Going to look at MBS for sure...thanks.

-Alex

• 6. Re: Show FTP in a web viewer or container field ?
                    ayescas

That's what I needed, thank you for taking the time to include the code....

Alex