9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 7:41 AM by macintoshprime

FM Server large file verification

macintoshprime

Hi,

I've run into a slight issue with FM Server (13.0.9.905), running on windows 7. One of the files that I am hosting somehow grew in size from 2gb to 32gb over night and has caused some issues with connection speeds. Before I noticed the file size change I had restarted the server in hopes that the lagginess would go away, which it did. Now I want to remove this large file as there is something wrong with it but after 24 hrs it is still being verified and I have no idea how to safely remove it (I do have backups of it so I'm not worried about forcefully removing it).

Does anyone know of a way to remove a file from server that is stuck in the verification process without damaging any other hosted files or am I stuck waiting this out? If I've left out any important details let me know and I'll update the post.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

• 1. Re: FM Server large file verification
          taylorsharpe

Well, Windows 7 is not a server platform and not ideal for FileMaker Server.  That aside, if you are going to just trash the file and revert to a backup, then just kill the FileMaker processes and then erase the file and its remote container files and restore to a backup and then restart the computer.  But if you are ever hoping to get info back, you really should let it finish its verification. 

Did you have a runaway script or some import? 

• 2. Re: FM Server large file verification
            taylorsharpe

If you have other files on the server... get everyone to log off first (disconnect ethernet if you have to).  Files that are open and being used do not like to have the FileMaker Service process killed.  But if everyone is off of them, they should be OK, especially if you give like 5 minutes so the server has time to write the cache back. 

• 3. Re: FM Server large file verification
              macintoshprime

Hi Taylor,

Thanks for the response. It was a runaway script that would import (so a combo!) from what I can tell, but without opening it I can't tell exactly. Thankfully it was the test file so I'm not concerned about any data loss in the specific file, I'm more concerned about the data in the other files that being hosting. I've tried closing some of the other files but they just stay on the closing status. I'm assuming this has to do with the servers resources being tied up with the verification.

As for windows 7 I know it's not ideal but we're kind of restricted in what we can use by our IT department, I don't even have admin rights to reboot the server without their intervention (a rant for another day).

• 4. Re: FM Server large file verification
                taylorsharpe

Ahhhh, sounds like you're in one of those corporate or government IT hells where the IT department hinders instead of helps with the mission goals.  And why would such an IT department stick you with Windows 7.... its pretty close to being deprecated.  An IT department behaving this way sure doesn't seem to be an asset for the business.  I'm sure it is a bit frustrating and I don't envy your situation. 

• 5. Re: FM Server large file verification
                  macintoshprime

haham ya that pretty much sums it up. We just finished the transition to windows 7 last year and mac is still a dirty word, oh the things I could rant about.

Anyways, I left the file to verify over the weekend and it looks like it processed fine. On the phone with IT now to get someone to remove the file (can't even move it out of the database server).

Thanks for the assist Taylor,

Chris

• 6. Re: FM Server large file verification
                    wimdecorte

As a side-note: it is best practice to configure FMS to NOT auto-host files when the machine or the FMS service starts.  That will protect you against that long-running verification process.

Imagine this scenario: your server just crashed.  You fire it back up but FMS auto-hosts: now  you will have to wait for the verification process to finish just to close the file and replace it with a backup...  Not good.

• 7. Re: FM Server large file verification
                      macintoshprime

Hi Wim,

Thanks for the response.

That's a great best practice but sadly something I don't think I can follow to a T in my current situation.

Our IT department frequently forces updates and restarts to client machines with little if any notification, and I have staff who are frequently in the office well before I am and I can't really leave them hanging until I get into the office (same goes for vacation). This means I need the server to start hosting as soon as the machine reboots to avoid downtime. I have tried to get an exception for our "server" but that involves going through a process that makes it not worth the cost.

If there is a better way to handle this I would love suggestions, this is the first time I've been running server in a few years and am a little behind on server best practices.

For the time being I have moved the dev file to my own computer so if things go south again I don't mess with the hosted files.

• 8. Re: FM Server large file verification
                        wimdecorte

macintoshprime wrote:

If there is a better way to handle this I would love suggestions, this is the first time I've been running server in a few years and am a little behind on server best practices.

The obvious would be to get IT to follow proper procedures and give them a batch file or VBscript to include in their work after updates so that it would open the files for you.

That would still prevent files from being hosted or attempted to be opened after a crash.

I would fight really really hard for this.  It makes no sense at all that IT does things without following known best practices like giving notification, using established and agreed maintenance windows.

I've been in your position, and it is a bit of an up-hill battle but it in the end: either the database solution is important or it is not.

• 9. Re: FM Server large file verification
                          macintoshprime

That's sounds like a good idea and something I will try to do. It's been an uphill battle just getting to this point, but it's something we feel is worth fighting for given our current situation.

Thank you for your input it's good to hear from other devs who have gone through something similar.