2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2016 11:16 AM by RamblinRose

FMPro10 and FM9 Server Advanced

RamblinRose

Windows 7 Professional x64. Yes, I realize this is an oldie. However, can the Filemaker Server 9 Advanced be used to serve FM10 Pro and FM10 Pro Advanced? I wish I could afford to upgrade but simply cannot. I already have all of the software mentioned. I want to set up a two person Filemaker network in my home.

Thanks

• 1. Re: FMPro10 and FM9 Server Advanced
          Markus Schneider

it should work almost fine, technically.

under Windows 7, there are known issues, ie when scrolling loong scripts (FM might quit)

What it does not, is supporting the new (current..) methods (and security) since it's based on the .fp7-format, FM9 was introduced in ~2007-8, FM10 in 2009

when FM9 was introduced, supported OS was Win XPPro, Internet Explorer 5/6...

but besides of this, FM10 was not a bad version and Server9 was the first one with the new interface (aka admin console). There will be issues with the java updates (server, administration of the server by clients,), so keep this in mind when running java updates

(java could be a critical component when it comes to security...)

• 2. Re: FMPro10 and FM9 Server Advanced
            RamblinRose

Thank you for your input.

Markus Schneider wrote: ...There will be issues with the java updates (server, administration of the server by clients,), so keep this in mind when running java updates.

(java could be a critical component when it comes to security...)

So, with all of that laid out on the table - I am in for a bunch of headaches? will I spend more time getting it to work than just plain using it? Also, will this forum be able to provide me consistent honorable assistance along the way? Final also, Mu plan is to set up an old tower PC with either Ubuntu or freeNAS as a server for my home. Do you prospect any difficulty in either of those arena's??

Again, thanks for any input.