13 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 6:58 AM by TSGal

DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04

MJordan

When I generate a database design report, the report is incomplete.

The report doesn't state on which layouts and in which scripts fields are used. This worked fine on FileMaker 13 adv.

FileMaker 14.04 Adv.

OSX 10.11.3

MacBook Pro retina 13inch early 2015

• 1. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
          TSGal

MJordan:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of an issue in the DDR where the Layouts and Scripts columns are empty.  This occurs when the table is renamed to something other than the base table name.

To verify this is the same issue, in your DDR, go to the Relationships: Table Occurrences section.  See if there is a difference between the Table Occurrence and Source Table names.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
            MJordan

Thank you for your reply.

I always use abbreviations in my table occurrences, so this is indeed the case. Never had this problem with previous versions of FM adv. so for the time being I will use FM 13 adv. for my DDR reports. Hopefully this problem will be solved in the future.

• 3. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
              TSGal

MJordan:

Thank you for the confirmation.

I have attached your posts to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
                MJordan

Well, seems like Filemaker 13 adv. isn't a solution either.

Wanted to delete a field from my database, so I created a DDR via FM13Adv., looked up on which layouts the field was on, deleted the field from all layouts, created a new DDR and ...... according to the new DDR the field was still on all the same layouts as before.

I now have a big problem because I need to clean up this really big old database but I have no idea on which layouts, scripts and calculations fields are used.

Looked at InspectorPro 5, but it seems it's also using the DDR to create its reports. Is there any other solution?

• 5. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
                  johnbuckingham

Hi TSGal

Could I ask for clarification, please? Is the situation that if the 'first' table (i.e. the one defined when a new file is created) has its name changed, a DDR will fail as described? Or am I misunderstanding something? This sounds important and I would be keen to know a workaround, if there is one, as this could render my investment in the excellent @BaseElements valueless. Like; is it possible to rename the 'first' table back to the filename to get a complete DDR?

And, is this only an issue for the HTML DDR; is the XML version unaffected?

Kind regards

John Buckingham

• 6. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
                    MJordan

I did a test with one of the build-in templates and if you use a different name for a table in the relationship graph that you used when you created the table, the DDR will fail to fill the DDR report for the fields.

In my opinion, this is a great problem for developers.

• 7. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
                      johnbuckingham

Hi MJordan

I agree, this could be a problem.

The last thing I want when I'm searching for a potential problem is a problem in the problem searching engine, if you see what I mean. I'll wait for clarification!

And thank you for raising the question.

JB

• 8. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
                        TSGal

johnbuckingham:

For clarification, this is not just the "first" table.  If you change any table name in the Relationships graph to something other than the name listed in the Tables pane, then any fields and scripts will not be shown in the HTML DDR.  The XML DDR is unaffected.

For example, if you have three tables named "Test1", "Test2" and "Test3", and each table has one field named "Name1", "Name2" and "Name3", respectively.  Then, if you go into the Relationships graph and change the table name "Test2" to "NotTest2" and run a HTML DDR, the "Name2" field will not appear in the Fields column for "NotTest2".  If you change the table name in the Tables tab, then the HTML DDR will work as expected.  Likewise, if you change "NotTest2" back to "Test2", then the HTML DDR will run as expected.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
                          johnbuckingham

Thanks for the clarification, TSGal.

At least you confirm a workaround that works until this is resolved for the HTML DDR.

And great news that the XML DDR isn’t affected.

Kind regards

• 10. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
                            johnbuckingham

I regret I don't have time to try this, but I suspect that it may be worth going into the Relationship Graph and just add new T/O's; naming each for the table name. So, your schema can still work with your abbreviations but these (unlinked) T/Os might allow the DDR to detect the names.

JB

• 11. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
                              TSGal

johnbuckingham:

Your assumption is correct.  If you leave the base name of the table and add additional table occurrences, the HTML DDR will work as expected.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
                                beverly

I do this quite often. Then if I need "relationships", these are duplicates of the table/TOs, but renamed.

But that doesn't solve all the DDR (HTML) problems, does it?

I concur, thanks to TSGAL for confirming that the XML is correct, but not the HTML.

beverly

• 13. Re: DDR Incomplete FileMaker adv. 14.04
                                  TSGal

MJordan:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.