7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2016 1:53 PM by wimdecorte

FMP crash EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

guyvt

Best,

I have the following issue with FileMaker: during execution of a script FMP crashes with following exception:

Process:               FileMaker Pro [3548]

Path:                  /Applications/FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro

Identifier:            com.filemaker.client.advanced12

Version:               14.0.4 (14.0.4)

Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:        ??? [1]

Responsible:           FileMaker Pro [3548]

User ID:               502

Date/Time:             2016-02-28 11:22:41.135 +0100

OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.11.3 (15D21)

Report Version:        11

Anonymous UUID:        A58A408A-9907-772B-4F90-57DA48D9AB53

Sleep/Wake UUID:       C53B9962-8EBE-4605-B042-5829383DFDC1

Time Awake Since Boot: 41000 seconds

Time Since Wake:       280 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       EXC_I386_GPFLT

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

My guess is that it has to do with the Print script step, but I am not sure.

The crash occures every time I execute the script, but all other operations in the application seem to wotk fine.

My environment:

• FileMaker Server 14.0.4.412 running on a Mac mini running OS X 10.10.5. Im not running the OS X Server app.
      • FileMaker Pro Advanced running on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.11.3.

When digging into the problem, I see the following other issues:

1. 1. When I try to upload a file from FileMaker Pro to the Server, I get the error Connection Failed. So the FMP client does not seem to be able to connect to the server.
        Otherwise, opening files from that server and working with them in FMP works ok, except for the one script that causes the crash explained above.
      2. 2. I can open the FMS admin console on the server machine itself, but I cannot open the admin console on any other Mac on the network.  The browser gives a connection refused error.
      3. 3. In the FMS admin console (on the server machine) I see that the Web Publishing Engine doesnt stay running.  I can start it from the console, bit it seems to stop after awhile. (meaning: the toggle switch is greyed out)
      4. 4. I tried starting the FMS web server manually with
        sudo /Library/Filemaker\ Server/HTTPServer/bin/httpdctl
        but that resulted in the error
        SSLPassPhraseDialog: file '/usr/local/bin/fmsgetpasskey' does not exist

Rebooting client and server machines does not solve the issue.  Not does reinstalling FMS (I start from 14.0.1 and upgrade all the way to 14.0.4a).

What should I do? Reinstall OS X and FMS from scratch?

In various posts I saw that there is a 14.0.4 full installer of FMS? Where can we download that? Would that solve the problem?

• 1. Re: FMP crash EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
          wimdecorte

I don't think server is part of this issue, it is the client that is crashing, not the server.

When it happens, check out that thread 0 that is reported as the cause and see if you find any clues into what area of FMP is causing it.

Do you use any plugins?  What version of FMP are you running?

A good test is to create a new account on your workstation and try it from there; just in case it is something in your profile.

• 2. Re: FMP crash EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
            wimdecorte

guyvt wrote:

In various posts I saw that there is a 14.0.4 full installer of FMS? Where can we download that? Would that solve the problem?

If you have a maintenance contract with FMI you can email your sales rep and he will generate a link for you.

• 3. Re: FMP crash EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
              guyvt

hi Wim

I don't understand your answer entirely .. what I can see is:

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

but that doesn't tell me anything ...

• 4. Re: FMP crash EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
                guyvt

Here's the complete stack trace:

By the way, I get the same error when I try this on different machines.  They're all MacBook Pro's, all running FMP 14.0.4.

• 5. Re: FMP crash EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
                  wimdecorte

Try this: on the layout where this script prints from start deleting half of all the items on that layout until the problem goes away... there may be something corrupt on that layout.

• 6. Re: FMP crash EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
                    guyvt

Will do that.  In the mean time I found out that commenting out the Print() script step takes away the issue for my end users.  So now they can at least continue working.  As soon as I have the DB for my own, I can take a copy and start doing what you suggested (that is, taking away fields from the layout to narrow down the issue)

So far so good for the FMP client-side.

For the FMS I am left with the Web Server issue. (doesn't seem to be related to the client crashes after all)

Meaning:

1. When I try to upload a file from FileMaker Pro to the Server, I get the error Connection Failed. So the FMP client does not seem to be able to connect to the server.
                      Otherwise, opening files from that server and working with them in FMP works ok.
                    2. I can open the FMS admin console on the server machine itself, but I cannot open the admin console on any other Mac on the network.  The browser gives a connection refused error.
                    3. In the FMS admin console (on the server machine) I see that the Web Server doesnt run.
                    4. I tried starting the FMS web server manually with
                      sudo /Library/Filemaker\ Server/HTTPServer/bin/httpdctl
                      but that resulted in the error
                      SSLPassPhraseDialog: file '/usr/local/bin/fmsgetpasskey' does not exist

I tried reinstalling FMS from 14.0.1 - and the 4 points above work fine under 14.0.1 !!

After upgrading to 14.0.4 (and patch 14.0.4a) the problem(s) re-appear.

Any ideas ?

• 7. Re: FMP crash EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
                      wimdecorte

The file uploading is not related to the FMP crashes.  Uploads happen on port 443 so make sure that one is open on FMS.

To start the FMS web server component, try the fmsadmin command line:

fmsadmin start wpe

If it is the OS web server that is not running then that is outside of FMS's control and you need to use the regular apache command line.