2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 2:02 PM by keywords

Lost Preview-like view in Browse

TCMerrill

One of my favorite improvements on moving from fp7 to p12 is that in using layouts that group records by SubSummaries, the Browse view includes those SubSummaries.  When I change the SubSummary within a record, that record relocates under the new SubSummary. Another way to put it, when I view a sorted list of records and change the content of a field that was part of the sort, the record moves to it's new location. Essentially "auto sorting"

Well, I was entering and editing data today and did something, some bogus keystroke combo, I'm not sure what and ... whammo ... I find my self in Preview mode on a different layout and displaying only one record. When I got back to where I was working, I'd lost that "Preview-like view" in Browse. It does still "Auto sort"

Any ideas how I can get that back?

• 1. Re: Lost Preview-like view in Browse
          TCMerrill

Additional attempts - I created a new layout for Computer/Form with the fields copied and pasted, adding two new "parts" between the default header and body. This appeared to bring back the part display in Browse but would only show one record.  So I then went to "View as List" and that option was greyed out. 

I created yet two more layouts. The first layout setup gave me the option to choose between computer, mobile & printer but did not give me the option between form, list, report, & ??. I went ahead anyway and got a duplicate of my original layout - records in list view without displaying the SubSummary part. The second did give me the option to select layout type.  I chose List this time and the result was as above, records in list view without displaying the SubSummary part.

I checked and rechecked sort order to make sure that was not the issue.

• 2. Re: Lost Preview-like view in Browse
            keywords

Re: "when I view a sorted list of records and change the content of a field that was part of the sort, the record moves to it's new location. Essentially "auto sorting""

—this is a result of checking the "Keep records in sorted order" option in the Sort Records dialog.

Re: "I then went to "View as List" and that option was greyed out."

—the options for each layout are controlled in the "Views" tab in the Layout Setup dialog.

Re: "I chose List this time and the result was as above, records in list view without displaying the SubSummary part"

—if the SubSummary part is not displaying it will be because the records are not sorted by the relevant field.